FAA's Registration Speed

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I've been the proud owner of my Aztec for about 6 weeks now. While I've spent some significant amount of money on fuel and oil in those 6 weeks, I've not received my registration. The FAA has processed the forms. If you look on the N-number registry and on FlightAware, you can see that my Aztec does, in fact, belong to me (or rather to the LLC I've set up for ownership of it).

Yesterday, I received my first piece of mail from the FAA. I was expecting it to be the registration. Instead, it was an AD (my first AD! I'm... not thrilled).

So my real question: How long does it normally take to get this from the FAA? I've still got plenty of time left on the pink copy, but I'm now curious.

i wouldnt get in a big hurry. typical processing time on a pilot certificate is 90-100 days. i cant remember how long it took me to get registration back on my glider.

whats the AD?

i wouldnt get in a big hurry. typical processing time on a pilot certificate is 90-100 days. i cant remember how long it took me to get registration back on my glider.

Yeah, for my private and then instrument I ended up getting it in about 60-90 days. I just found it interesting that they managed to get me an AD before my registration, especially since they've processed it enough to make it to the N-number registry and FlightAware.

whats the AD?

It's the AD for the injection servos on my engines. Make sure that screw isn't loose. Due immediately (if not already complied with) and then every 50 hours, which means you end up doing it when you change the oil (pretty convenient). We have to do it on the Mooney as well. What's annoying about it is that you need an A&P to sign off on it, so if you do it with your oil change (which makes sense) you need an A&P around when you change your oil to check it and sign your book saying it's tight.

Nothing against the manufacturer, but as per the detail engine spec:

Lycoming IO-540-C4B5 Detail Engine Spec said:
Fuel Injector, Bendix: RSA-5AD1

Why would you put "AD" in the name for an aviation anything? :mad2:

I've been the proud owner of my Aztec for about 6 weeks now. While I've spent some significant amount of money on fuel and oil in those 6 weeks, I've not received my registration. The FAA has processed the forms. If you look on the N-number registry and on FlightAware, you can see that my Aztec does, in fact, belong to me (or rather to the LLC I've set up for ownership of it).

Yesterday, I received my first piece of mail from the FAA. I was expecting it to be the registration. Instead, it was an AD (my first AD! I'm... not thrilled).

So my real question: How long does it normally take to get this from the FAA? I've still got plenty of time left on the pink copy, but I'm now curious.
8 to 12 weeks. They are a little faster on airplane stuff as opposed to pilot stuff.

Thank you, MiBanjo Valentine. By the way, your avatar is cute. Is she single? ;)

Yeah I actually got an extension on my glider reg, because the prior owner never filed the registration form. I think it took around 4 months to finally get sorted out.

You gotta love the FAA Registration form. Probably one of the last government forms in triplicate :)

I sent in the form on N601WR on December 22, 2008 and received the registration on January 9th. It was dated the January 7. I was amazed. Everything I read told me that it would take at least two months to get it back.

That said it may be less work in OKC for a registration on a new, never registered before aircraft.

For corporate-owned aircraft, if your accompanying letter justifying your ability to purchase an aircraft (for an LLC, the one stating your manager status and ability to purchase an aircraft) isn't juuuust right, they'll wait til day 80 or so and send you a registration extension and a letter demanding a particular change. It could take a few revisions to get correct and have you flying on just the white card

Took us a few rounds of that game to figure out the "just right" letter. I can dig it up and post it if it would be helpful.

For corporate-owned aircraft, if your accompanying letter justifying your ability to purchase an aircraft (for an LLC, the one stating your manager status and ability to purchase an aircraft) isn't juuuust right, they'll wait til day 80 or so and send you a registration extension and a letter demanding a particular change. It could take a few revisions to get correct and have you flying on just the white card

Took us a few rounds of that game to figure out the "just right" letter. I can dig it up and post it if it would be helpful.

That would be very helpful.

It's the AD for the injection servos on my engines. Make sure that screw isn't loose. Due immediately (if not already complied with) and then every 50 hours, which means you end up doing it when you change the oil (pretty convenient). We have to do it on the Mooney as well. What's annoying about it is that you need an A&P to sign off on it, so if you do it with your oil change (which makes sense) you need an A&P around when you change your oil to check it and sign your book saying it's tight.

Ted, it sounds like you received
AD 2008-08-14. Do you know about the follow up, AD 2009-02-03, that just came out? It specifies a new gasket to be installed if the plug is found to be loose. Once its installed the 50 hr inspections are no longer required. Even if the plugs aren't loose, the new gasket has to be installed by Dec 31st. Might as well get an A&P to replace them next time it's due for inspection.

8 to 12 weeks. They are a little faster on airplane stuff as opposed to pilot stuff.
My AGI appeared in the database some time this week, 6 weeks after approval.

That said it may be less work in OKC for a registration on a new, never registered before aircraft.
The card for N55ZC came back in about 7 weeks.

The company that I work for bought an airplane 18 months ago. It took almost 90 days to get our hard copy registration. Be patient it is after all a government entity.

If you need to fly out of the country before you receive your hard copy, you can get a fly wire from Oklahoma City. Then you can fly out of the US.

Ted, it sounds like you received
AD 2008-08-14. Do you know about the follow up, AD 2009-02-03, that just came out? It specifies a new gasket to be installed if the plug is found to be loose. Once its installed the 50 hr inspections are no longer required. Even if the plugs aren't loose, the new gasket has to be installed by Dec 31st. Might as well get an A&P to replace them next time it's due for inspection.

Lee, I wasn't aware of that. I will be sure to get the gasket and just replace it at the next oil change. Much easier. Plus then I don't need the A&P around when I do my oil changes!

The company that I work for bought an airplane 18 months ago. It took almost 90 days to get our hard copy registration. Be patient it is after all a government entity.

If you need to fly out of the country before you receive your hard copy, you can get a fly wire from Oklahoma City. Then you can fly out of the US.

Fortunately, I don't intend on flying out of the country with it until sometime in May (or maybe August). If I still don't have it by then, we have issues.

Thanks for the info, guys. I look forward to getting the real registration. Sort of the final nail in my financial coffin. ;)

I purchase N630SC the first week of January, I received my registration two weeks from the day I mailed it in, I was shocked!!!

Back