FAA Written test/Ground training

hyperqwest

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I was wondering something about the FAA written test, I am starting my training and want to know if i can doo most or all of my studying for the written test on my own and then take the test? Do i have to get signed off by an instructor to take the written? and than start my flight training after?

thank you

Chris

You can study on your own. You do need a sign-off to take the test (but you can even get an online sign-off from ASA (prepware.com)). But I'd advise against taking the written before training for your private. You'll make it a lot harder on yourself trying to figure things out without spending time in the cockpit.

You can study on your own. You do need a sign-off to take the test (but you can even get an online sign-off from ASA (prepware.com)). But I'd advise against taking the written before training for your private. You'll make it a lot harder on yourself trying to figure things out without spending time in the cockpit.
...and by then you'll have a CFI to sign you off....

Yeah makes sense, But i can do a lot of studying on my own and do more in flight training, That is if the CFI feels i have the ground material down for what we would be doing that day in flight. Correct?

Started my Written study not long after I started my flight training reading through the Gleim books and working the quizzes and practice tests. Just before my solo, I took one of the weekend courses with American Flyers that included the cost of the exam fee. It was a good investment since I was able to gain clarity on a few things and they guaranteed a passing grade. I got an 88 (a lucky number for me).

I agree that you should have a few hours in your log book before you get too deep into the knowledge material. After your 3rd or 4th lesson, what you read in the textbook will start meshing much better with what your CFI is teaching you and both the practical and knowledge stuff will come along much easier.

Yeah makes sense, But i can do a lot of studying on my own and do more in flight training, That is if the CFI feels i have the ground material down for what we would be doing that day in flight. Correct?

Studying the material assigned by your CFi for that days flight is always a good thing. And can save both time and money in long run.

Ok got it, Now another question is from what i have looked into but have not been able to clarify is do the hours that i do with the cfi expire? Like say it takes me a year to finish (or more money permitting) my 50 or 60 hours which from what i can tell is the average number for students.

One of the things I wish I would have done differently when first starting would be to study ahead. While it is true that doing the flying will help you understand things, remember the aircraft is a horrible classroom and doing your homework (studying before the lesson) and having a good instructor who will work with you on the ground end of things is vital as well.

One good resource is http://www.sportys.com/studybuddy -- Sporty's has a practice test page here. What I did for my written is show that I completed 3 practice tests with passing scores, then got signed off for my written.

Ok got it, Now another question is from what i have looked into but have not been able to clarify is do the hours that i do with the cfi expire? Like say it takes me a year to finish (or more money permitting) my 50 or 60 hours which from what i can tell is the average number for students.

No expiration there from the sense that they count towards the requirement. What does expire is what you gain lesson to lesson. You'd be surprised at how much you can lose with a short break, especially when first starting. It is a really good idea to plan on 3 lessons / week to start with.

One recommendation that I have is that if you aren't feeling up to flying, it is fine to stick with ground instruction or to cut a lesson short. No sense in throwing good money after bad. I wish I would have figured that one out sooner.

Read the PHAK. Get the ASA Test Prep book which has all the questions and answers to the private pilot written. YouTube also has a bunch of good videos that show ground school related stuff.

If funds are going to be questionable, consider waiting to start until at least 2/3rds are in the training kitty and your confident you can earn the remainder as you go. The best training advice to save money is to have lessons 2 to 3 times per week. This could represent a "burn rate" of $400-700 per week depending on rental costs, frequency of flying, and length of the flights. Set your total money budget for 60 hrs of instruction and then work to finish in less.

But set up for success by having the funding you need ready to go before you start. It's one less thing to distract you.

While your flying time does not expire per se, you have 2 years from the time you pass the written to when you pass the checkride or yoy'll need to take the written again.

No expiration there from the sense that they count towards the requirement.

Almost. There is no expiration for the minimum 40 hours requirement. There is also no problem meeting that minimum -- you won't be wasting hours on that issue. There is a 60 day expiration for "checkride prep" hours. That's only going to be an issue if you have a long delay taking your checkride after finishing everything else.

You have to become familiar with the regulations, so here's one to get you started: 61.105(a). You can find it online at www.faa.gov, but you should really have a combination FAR/AIM book...the most recent edition, not one from Craigslist or EBay.

Bob Gardner

...but you should really have a combination FAR/AIM book...the most recent edition, not one from Craigslist or EBay.

Yeah...if you show up with an outdated one, that probably won't go over very well with the examiner.

I am doing the Gleim online course its 99.99 or 79 on ebay and it gives you the endorsement to take the test, instead of CFI signing you off.

I am doing the Gleim online course its 99.99 or 79 on ebay and it gives you the endorsement to take the test, instead of CFI signing you off.

That endorsement is signed by a staff CFI and Dr. Gleim and includes their CFI numbers on the sheet.

They'll typically telephone you once during the study if you registered your software or used their online study services, and see if you have any questions, also.

I used the Gleim module for my PPL written, I home studied and then took the test at the flight school before I began my actual in flight training. I passed (just with a score of 75%)

Thinking back, I feel it would have been more beneficial to have had a few hours in the aircraft first as things definitely became a whole lot clearer when I actually begin flying and I think my pass % rate would have been much higher.

But happily for me it's all academic now as I passed my PPL checkride 2 weeks ago..:D

Good luck with your training...

I took a ground school outside of the actual flight school. My CFI was impressed, although I already had a good grasp before I started. When I wanted to take the test, she requested that I take a few practice exams to show her I'm not just goofin' around. Once she was satisfied I could maintain a score of 80% or above, she let me go take the test.

Also, your hours will not expire - just your knowledge haha.

Back