FAA Written Exam - What should I bring?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I am about 80% of the way through my King Ground School. Just wondering - what can/should I bring to the written exam when I take it? (straight edge, flight calculator, etc?)

Thanks!

For PPL, right? You can bring what you mentioned, even an electronic e6b if you have one. I can't think of anything, save a cell phone, that you use in your flight training which you can't bring into the test but you will have to use their pencils and paper.

Well, now that I think some more, you can't bring charts or handbooks or anything like that. Was there something in particular you had in mind?

If I recall correctly the only thing you can bring in is your electronic E6B (and they make you take out the batteries to clear memory). They supply you paper and pencil and THEY KEEP all your notes/paper. I guess so you don't write down questions and share them with Sheppard Air :)

Plotter, E6B, pencils is about all.

Become familiar with the supplement book that shows you all the figures, charts, and other items the questions reference. Note that the scale of the charts DOES NOT match the scale of your plotter, so that will throw you off when working the chart related questions. Also get to know the sections of the supplement that have legends and the front of the A/FD, many answers to questions are found there.

Plotter, E6B, pencils is about all.

Become familiar with the supplement book that shows you all the figures, charts, and other items the questions reference. Note that the scale of the charts DOES NOT match the scale of your plotter, so that will throw you off when working the chart related questions. Also get to know the sections of the supplement that have legends and the front of the A/FD, many answers to questions are found there.

"that have legends.."

He is SPOT on. You'd be surprised how many answers are in the legend. Especially on the IFR written..

I am about 80% of the way through my King Ground School. Just wondering - what can/should I bring to the written exam when I take it? (straight edge, flight calculator, etc?)

Thanks!

I took my written about 2 weeks ago and passed. if you arent already doing it, make sure you also do some practice tests(at least 2, maybe more). when you are averaging at least 80%, go schedule and take the test. you also have to bring a written endorsement from whoever you are using for test prep(mine was ASA)to show the test administrator

good luck

Call the flight school you're taking it. They will give you all the information.

I guess I should buy a plotter and E6B online..I have an old Piper Flight Computer, but that is it.

I am planning on doing 3 practice exams through King and then reviewing all 700+ questions again.

Do as many practice exams as you can do. Don't schedule the written until you are getting between 80 and 90 (or more is even better) consistently on the practice exams.

Both exams I took (PPL and IFR) I followed this and passed easily.

Any recommendations on a nice flight computer? The Sporty's one looks nice. Also need to pick up a plotter, any recommendations?

I have an ASA CX-2 that I will sell for $50 plus shipping.

Any recommendations on a nice flight computer? The Sporty's one looks nice. Also need to pick up a plotter, any recommendations?

CX-2 ASA all the way. I did the same as you. Got my endorsement from the completed King Schools course. Scored one last practice test and got the same score on the real thing. (Above an 80 don't remember)

Be aware, before King Schools gives you the endorsement electronically, you have to pass two or three full tests and score above 80% consistently.

They really prepare you well.

Again, call the testing center and confirm. I suggest:
1) drivers license
2) pencils
3) calculator (regular crappy one)
4) manual e6b or electronic if your lucky enough to own one.
5) plotter
6) bottle of water
7) lastly, REALLY make sure you are prepared for the test, don't go in unless you are scoring more than 85% I suggest, otherwise you risk getting flustered on some tricky questions and failing wasting 150$.

I've taken 3 of the FAA written and always passed(PPL, IR, and CPL) but I made sure I was getting above 85% on all practice tests. Good luck and let us know!

Thanks guys - as far as a plotter goes...any recommendations?

What do you need a plotter for again? When I took my PPL I had the manual E6B, pencils, scrap paper and the materials provided as "exhibits" for the exam.

I have both the ASA CX E6B and sportys e6b the Asa is much better. Take practice tests.

I took mine last week. They had me call the CATS testing company and register. They'll give you a $10 discount if you have your AOPA member number. Didn't have mine so lost out.

Nothing,

aside from your endorsement to take the test and your ID.

Go to a laser grade center, all the E6B stuff you need and then some, and it is onscreen.

Don't blow money on "flight computers" they are basically not used in real world flying, just learn the math, as for the wind correction stuff you don't need it for the written (it's all onscreen) on real x/c work you're not going to really be using a E6B anyways.

Last edited:

Find a cheap one.

I bought Sporty's, used it during the written test, and just the other day (like 12 years later) threw it out, never having used it in the interim.

I was glad to have it for the written, though. It gives exact answers to the question at hand. If you use a plotter to measure and calculate, your answer will be close but rarely right on the book answer, due to the inaccuracy of reading an analog plotter. ...and that introduces uncertainty when you don't need that.

Also use the flight computer to get familiar with it, before exam day.

-Skip

What do you need a plotter for again? When I took my PPL I had the manual E6B, pencils, scrap paper and the materials provided as "exhibits" for the exam.

Don't you need the plotter for measuring TC on some of the questions? I guess you could use other methods of figuring based on angles and distances crossing lat/long lines.

Dunno, haven't taken it yet.

I remember using the plotter to find distance and heading on at least one question.

They take all phones and pens and give you what you need only e6b is alli had

I am gonna order the ASA electronic flight calc today

Took the test yesterday. Needed a plotter for measuring TC on more than one question.

Yea I bought a plotter as well as the King School flight computer (I like this one for some reason). My dad has an electronic e6b I can use.

Not sure yet...I am done with the King Course, but I am going through all 700+ questions again and then doing the Practice Exams..want to make sure I do well on the exam.

Back