FAA Wings @ Gaston's?

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
Okay, at some point there was a short discussion regarding offering Wings program participation at Gaston's. Some folks were'nt crazy about having the FAA present for an FAA program, but did that totally kill the idea? We don't really need the FAA. Folks could do an on-line seminar (i.e. ASF) and bring the certificate with them, then take the logbook signatures home to the local FSDO far away from Gaston's.

Is there any interest or is this a dead deal?

Ed Guthrie said:
Okay, at some point there was a short discussion regarding offering Wings program participation at Gaston's. Some folks were'nt crazy about having the FAA present for an FAA program, but did that totally kill the idea? We don't really need the FAA. Folks could do an on-line seminar (i.e. ASF) and bring the certificate with them, then take the logbook signatures home to the local FSDO far away from Gaston's.

Is there any interest or is this a dead deal?

I can't find any local CFIs that even know what the wings program is. I suspect it'd be more hassle than its worth.....

With that said, I have 2 other wings ground seminar thingies signed by AOPA people. I could always use a 3rd :D

Ed Guthrie said:
Okay, at some point there was a short discussion regarding offering Wings program participation at Gaston's. Is there any interest or is this a dead deal?
Ed, I think it's a great idea to do some of the Wings flying while at Gaston's. Tom has offered to fly with people at Gaston's, too. If I can't find anybody who wants to fly with me in the Citabria, I will be looking for a CFI (besides Tom) to fly with for part or all of the three hours. Is anybody bringing foggles?

Diana said:
Ed, I think it's a great idea to do some of the Wings flying while at Gaston's. Tom has offered to fly with people at Gaston's, too. If I can't find anybody who wants to fly with me in the Citabria, I will be looking for a CFI (besides Tom) to fly with for part or all of the three hours. Is anybody bringing foggles?
Yes. Two pair live in my bird. Former Cessna 140 CFI.
SIGH I miss N76112!

I've got a current signed Wings seminar card...but I'd have to wait until next April to get the next certificate.

This time of year one would be fairly parboiled upon emerging from the IAR after 3 hrs.. :) ..I'll wait til the fall for mine.

C'Mon. Wings requires the CFI to fly with you for 3 hours. It's supposed to be a vacation!

I wouldn't refuse the opportunity to handle this year's Wings at Gaston's, though.

Last edited:
mikea said:
C'Mon. Wings requires the CFI to fly with you for 3 hours. It's supposed to be a vacation!

I wouldn't refuse the opportunity to handle this year's Wings at Gaston's, though.
I may be wrong, but you can fly the hour segments at different times and with different CFI's, so couldn't a person could do just one hour if that was all that they could find time for?

Diana said:
I may be wrong, but you can fly the hour segments at different times and with different CFI's, so couldn't a person could do just one hour if that was all that they could find time for?

You've got it right, and yes they could.

Diana said:
Right. I was thinking what happens at a Wings Weekend where you get all 3 required hours done in one session.

Can be found at http://www.aopa.org/asf/seminars/sib.html

AOPA Air Safety Foundation
Seminar-in-a-Box® Program
Seminar-in-a-Box

The Seminar-in-a-Box® program is one of the safety education projects of the AOPA Air Safety Foundation. These all-in-one kits are designed to help local pilots conduct their own quality safety seminars. They can be used for your monthly safety and membership meetings, as well as a useful tool for organizations to expand their contacts with area pilots. Kits can be ordered online.

For only $24.95, your kit includes everything you need:

* Video, CD, or DVD
* Presenter's guide
* Safety pamphlets — quantity of 10
* ASF Web brochures

The local FAA Safety Program Manager can frequently arrange advertising for seminars that use these materials. These seminars may also qualify as the safety meeting requirement of the Wings Program.

Individual kits are free. Pilot donors and corporate sponsors of the AOPA Air Safety Foundation pay for them. However, we do require users to cover the shipping and handling costs of $24.95. Requests for additional Safety Advisors can be accommodated at a reasonable price. Please call 301/695-2184 for details.
We can ship to international addresses, however, rates vary. Please call +1 301-695-2184 for information.

Seminar-in-a-Box® Topics

* Airspace Refresher
* Collision Avoidance
* Fuel Awareness
* GPS for VFR Operations
* Maneuvering Flight
* Mission: Possible
Watch a three-minute preview
* More Never Again
* Never Again
* Operations at Towered Airports
* Spatial Disorientation
* Trigger Tapes
* Ups and Downs of Takeoffs and Landings
* New: Weather Wise

Click on the topic to read seminar descriptions

Order your Seminar-in-a-Box® Online!
To order a Seminar-in-a-Box®, complete the convenient online order form or contact the AOPA Air Safety Foundation at 800/638-3101, ext. 2184.
Airspace Refresher
Order now!

Format: PowerPoint Presentation on a CD-ROM, with presenter's guide. No audio. Running time depends on the presenter, but is programmed for about one hour.
(View information on free PowerPoint viewer.)

Recommended presenter knowledge/skill: For group presentations, this program requires a CFI or ground instructor knowledgeable in airspace matters and capable of presenting a full program based on PowerPoint slides. For home study, individual pilots can use the included script as a guide.

This two-part program includes almost everything you need to know about operating within the U.S. airspace system.(Information on TFRs and other recent airspace restrictions are only mentioned in this program. See special note.)

Airspace Refresher explains the U.S. airspace system, with emphasis on operating in the various classes of airspace. It explains in simple terms the difference between controlled and uncontrolled airspace, and why various pieces of airspace are configured the way they are. It discusses pilot, equipment, weather and communications requirements, and takes the audience on a cross-country flight, with lots of opportunities for audience participation.

Special note: This CD-ROM also includes ASF's new Know Before You Go online program in HTML format, viewable in a browser. Know Before You Go concentrates on TFRs and other recent airspace restrictions and can be presented easily to a group as a stand-alone program or as an add-on to the main Airspace Refresher program.

Let's see. 3 hours flying, or 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight. I would choose to wings program over a BFR why? Or you could take my route...get a new rating!

N2212R said:
Let's see. 3 hours flying, or 1 hour of ground and 1 hour of flight. I would choose to wings program over a BFR why? Or you could take my route...get a new rating!

Because you may get a break on insurance. My insurance company gives me credit for "Wings" program as recurrent training, but they give no credit for a BFR. It does help on the premium... and it helps keep more skills sharp (I combine it with an IPC, saves time and money on both).

New rating is a great way to go.... I did that last year. Got a 5% break on insurance.

N2212R said:
Because you a earn a Wings pin, of course!

At each renewal, I report to my insurance that I earned a new Wings phase and mostly, they yawn.

There's data to support the fact that "Wings" participants are less likely to be involved in an accident also, which is why insurance companies support it. I think it's because those who participate don't want to be embarassed to be the subject of the next "Wings" seminar.

Im willing to do some CFIing towards wings when im there. Arriving friday afternoon, leaving sunday sometime.

I've got the DVD for the Maneuvering Flight Seminar in a Box and can bring that. Don't know if watching that alone qualifies for the ground instruction portion of the wings program. Presuming someone has Wings cards, I would think it qualifies, though. Check with ASF to be sure.

I'm bringing the screen and 'puter, and Doc Chien is bringing the projector. I guess it wouldn't hurt us *too* badly to learn something...

SCCutler said:
I'm bringing the screen and 'puter, and Doc Chien is bringing the projector. I guess it wouldn't hurt us *too* badly to learn something...

As long as BEvERages can be consumed in class...;)

tonycondon said:
Im willing to do some CFIing towards wings when im there. Arriving friday afternoon, leaving sunday sometime.
Tony, that's great! Would someone like to volunteer to keep track of what CFI's would like to volunteer to fly, and what pilots are interested? And post on the other forum, too? Thanks! :)

Back