FAA to lift mobile shut-down rule

that will be a relief for the flight attendant who i observed reading the pre-landing announcement from her galazy phone this morning

That is an extremely misleading headline and thread title. The FAA's advisory group on the issue has made some recommendations. Where it goes from there and when remains to be seen.

IOW, don't expect to be allowed to keep talking on your cell phone during takeoff/landing next week.

Ah, good. So now the stimulus-addicted generation can avoid experiencing toy withdrawal during those few minutes that it takes to get to altitude.

-Rich

That is an extremely misleading headline and thread title. The FAA's advisory group on the issue has made some recommendations. Where it goes from there and when remains to be seen.

IOW, don't expect to be allowed to keep talking on your cell phone during takeoff/landing next week.

I just copied the thread title from the ZDNet article. I wasn't trying to mislead.

Silly rule to begin with, if the electronics on an airliner were really that sensitive I'd never want to be on one.

No problem with this. PLEASE do not allow cell phones on planes. I do not want to be on the plane with everyone talking on their phones.

No problem with this. PLEASE do not allow cell phones on planes. I do not want to be on the plane with everyone talking on their phones.

Amen to that. Anybody who would yak on a cell phone on a plane should be thrown off it. At 35,000 feet.

It will only be for devices that are not transferring data over a network. I.e. your ipod or kindle reader, etc.

Ah, good. So now the stimulus-addicted generation can avoid experiencing toy withdrawal during those few minutes that it takes to get to altitude.

-Rich

It's not the take off, it's finishing watching the movie during the last half hour after they tell you to turn everything off and bring your seat back to the upright position.

If the device is much bigger than your phone, you're still going to be asked to put it away. Stowing your carry on items for TO/LANDING has nothing to do with whether they are electronic or not.

If the device is much bigger than your phone, you're still going to be asked to put it away. Stowing your carry on items for TO/LANDING has nothing to do with whether they are electronic or not.

Right, when the gear comes down and the flaps go out, then I'll put my stuff away and bring my seat back up.

-Rich
I've never felt compelled to talk on my cellphone during takeoff but it does annoy me that I can't read my eBook on a device that emits about as much RF noise when it's in "airplane mode "as a digital watch.

Don't worry--you shouldn't get reception at 35k ft anyway. As far as I know, all the cell towers direct their power mostly downward. No reason to waste power upwards where there are (mostly) no people.

My "phone" is less of a phone to me than it is a mobile computing and communications platform that just happens to have the functionality of calling people.

I don't do public phone calls unless I absolutely have to. Rudeness aside, I don't really want to broadcast my conversation to everyone in earshot any more than they want to hear it.

Speaking of which, I was recently in a hospital waiting room waiting for a family member to come out of surgery and people in there were taking/making calls on speaker phone in the waiting room. And no, not with the family huddled around or anything just the one person in a public space talking on speaker. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And here I am with my phone on vibrate and ducking out into the hallway when someone calls me...

Don't worry--you shouldn't get reception at 35k ft anyway. As far as I know, all the cell towers direct their power mostly downward. No reason to waste power upwards where there are (mostly) no people.

It's only a matter of time such that they provide airborne cell service on the plane as they are providing airborne wifi. I could skype now. The wifi is pretty decent on the last few flights I've used it.

PLEASE do not allow cell phones on planes. I do not want to be on the plane with everyone talking on their phones.
Well cell phones are allowed on the plane now... but I am assuming that you mean not to let them talk on them. Well; the article says: In other words, a phone in "Airplane Mode" should be acceptable, where under the current rule passengers were required to shut such devices down until told otherwise.

I don't think you will be able to talk in airplane mode. Also, the chances of anyone getting service at 35k is slim to none.

I am with you and would like to not have to listen to all these people blab on their phone for hours. But I think their might be a day when the service might be available. :(

I suggest doing it when you're told, which will be long before the gear and probably before the flaps.

Right, when the gear comes down and the flaps go out, then I'll put my stuff away and bring my seat back up.

I don't think you will be able to talk in airplane mode. Also, the chances of anyone getting service at 35k is slim to none.

I thought the same thing, but wonder how the people on the plane that crashed in Pensylvania on 9/11/2011 were able to make cell phone calls. Via the plane's on-board cell system? I got the, possibly mistaken, impression they were using their own phones.

It's only a matter of time such that they provide airborne cell service on the plane as they are providing airborne wifi. I could skype now. The wifi is pretty decent on the last few flights I've used it.

Also now that I think about it, there are carriers that allow wifi calling.

I thought the same thing, but wonder how the people on the plane that crashed in Pensylvania on 9/11/2011 were able to make cell phone calls. Via the plane's on-board cell system? I got the, possibly mistaken, impression they were using their own phones.

I think a lot of that was done on those air phone thingies.

I seem to recall that the hijacker flew the planes around really low.

....I am with you and would like to not have to listen to all these people blab on their phone for hours. But I think their might be a day when the service might be available. :(

It will take us back to the days of "Smoking or Non-Smoking" seats.

Now it will be "Blabbing or Non-Blabbing".

:yesnod:

Mike

I'm old enough to remember smoking/non-smoking sections. I would strongly support a "cell-phones allowed" zone -- in the back of the plane, behind the wing-mounted engines/between the rear-mounted engines where it's already noisy.

I've never felt compelled to talk on my cellphone during takeoff but it does annoy me that I can't read my eBook on a device that emits about as much RF noise when it's in "airplane mode "as a digital watch.
That's exactly what they're trying to fix. Only problem is how do they tell which it is you're using without spending half an hour checking each device?

I keep the WiFi on my Kindle off except to download a new book to preserve battery power so I was a bit irritated the first time I was told to turn it off for departure....but heck it was for 10 whole minutes and I survived the trauma. Better safe than sorry I always figured.
But I pray they never allow cell-phone use on aircraft between take-off and landing....that would be a total nightmare.

... on a device that emits about as much RF noise when it's in "airplane mode "as a digital watch.

how do you know? and that's part of the problem, there are so many piece of junk electronics out there that the average person doesn't have any real knowledge of how much interference is possible, especially if you include malfunctioning equipment.

That's exactly what they're trying to fix. Only problem is how do they tell which it is you're using without spending half an hour checking each device?

If the issue is RFI, wouldn't an RF meter tuned to the carrier wavelength take care of that rather quickly?

If the issue is RFI, wouldn't an RF meter tuned to the carrier wavelength take care of that rather quickly?
One would think. And earlier this year on a pretty new airliner, I heard them say over the PA they were indicating 19 cell phones still on and they weren't moving until all of them were off. BS? Actual equipment? :dunno: But I saw several people suddenly grab their phones and push buttons, and a few minutes later they said "Thank you" and we pushed back.

One would think. And earlier this year on a pretty new airliner, I heard them say over the PA they were indicating 19 cell phones still on and they weren't moving until all of them were off. BS? Actual equipment? :dunno: But I saw several people suddenly grab their phones and push buttons, and a few minutes later they said "Thank you" and we pushed back.

It wouldn't be hard to build such a device and frankly, if I were proactive as an airline, I might have a device to forward (for a fee) cell phone calls ready to go if and when it is decided it was a good idea to turn it on. They've already changed their tune on WIFI. I can pay $12 or whatever for the priv of using the internet through my flight.

It wouldn't be hard to build such a device and frankly, if I were proactive as an airline, I might have a device to forward (for a fee) cell phone calls ready to go if and when it is decided it was a good idea to turn it on. They've already changed their tune on WIFI. I can pay $12 or whatever for the priv of using the internet through my flight.

Yep, and I can keep in phone contact over their Wifi through T-Mobile wifi calling.

Yeah, but then if someone calls my phone number it doesn't ring if all I have is Skype, plus I have to pay the Skype charges; with the T-Mo service it does and at no extra charge. That feature along with their superior customer service and data rates has been what has keeping me with them over a decade now.

The FCC regulates cell phones, not the FAA. IIRC the FAA activity is dealing with pretty much everything except cell phones.

348280630_a6bd1a4fa7_z_zps152ef0e0.jpg

Yeah, but then if someone calls my phone number it doesn't ring if all I have is Skype, plus I have to pay the Skype charges; with the T-Mo service it does and at no extra charge. That feature along with their superior customer service and data rates has been what has keeping me with them over a decade now.

Different usage, I guess. My phone makes a noise when I got a skype call. Anyone I care to talk to is on Skype so no additional fees there. I'm only near my home wifi long enough for someone to call me anyway.

Different usage, I guess. My phone makes a noise when I got a skype call. Anyone I care to talk to is on Skype so no additional fees there. I'm only near my home wifi long enough for someone to call me anyway.

Yeah, the nice thing is when I'm in a different part of the world including the middle of the ocean, as long as I have a wifi connection, my phone number operates with no roaming charges. I just wish my folks had Skype, I can't get my mom to touch a computer or iPad or even a smart phone, and dad's not up to dealing with any of it anymore.:(

They are going to allow electronic devices below 10,000 now (no radio).

http://www.zdnet.com/faa-to-lift-mobile-shut-down-rule-7000021045/?s_cid=e550&ttag=e550

The comment section in that article.

There's always one expert who knows everything about aviation and radio waves. This expert posts a multi-paragraph essay about how it's "impossible" to get interference from a cell phone.

Yet when I put my cell phone near anything connected to a speaker (car radio, telephone, iPod, Piper Cherokee, etc) I hear the clicks and squeaks of the cell phone communicating with the tower(s).

I'm still convinced that 98% of the people on cell phones are relaying inconsequential information.

Last edited:
Back