FAA proposes no texting rule

So, no EFBs? Can't use Foreflight on a smartphone? Since I have a Windows XP box "installed" in my panel for charts/etc, am I not allowed to use that?

If they do pass this, it's another FAR I will be purposefully breaking in addition to 91.107

So, no EFBs? Can't use Foreflight on a smartphone? Since I have a Windows XP box "installed" in my panel for charts/etc, am I not allowed to use that?

If they do pass this, it's another FAR I will be purposefully breaking in addition to 91.107

I was told that it only pertained to 121 and maybe 135 ops. But pt 91 it is up to the PIC whether personal comms devices can be used, so as a PIC I say go ahead...just dont put it near the mag compass.

Unless the last few years have been in the Twilight Zone, I believe a number of commercial airlines and others are utilizing or planning to utilize IPads for charts and other purposes. Also Ipad's or other tablets are definitely being used in GA for these purposes. So how are EFB use in the form of a tablet versus the dedicated devices going to stay legal, if it is going to be illegal to use them in the cockpit?

The proposal was prompted by several incidents, including a flight in February 2009 when a Colgan Air co-pilot sent a text message about five minutes prior to being cleared for takeoff, and the flight later crashed killing 50 people onboard.

Colgan air, the gift that keeps on giving.

Seems like he already broke the sterile cockpit rule if they were taxiing during that time.

And how is "while the aircraft is being operated" differ from "the entire flight"?

Can one conduct a flight if the aircraft is not being operated.?:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ray LaHood strikes again. You should have heard some of the interviews he did on the radio here in dC.

What's the offensive part of 91.107? I skimmed it but didn't see anything so terrible.

I don't always wear my seatbelt while taxiing to/from the hangar/fuel pumps...oh the horror, save the childrens!!!

I'll bet one of those incidents was the AA chief pilot at DFW who whipped out his cell phone while taxiing an airplane to put another company pilot on report for taxiing too slow.

I'll bet one of those incidents was the AA chief pilot at DFW who whipped out his cell phone while taxiing an airplane to put another company pilot on report for taxiing too slow.
Then there were the laptop guys...

Unless the last few years have been in the Twilight Zone, I believe a number of commercial airlines and others are utilizing or planning to utilize IPads for charts and other purposes. Also Ipad's or other tablets are definitely being used in GA for these purposes. So how are EFB use in the form of a tablet versus the dedicated devices going to stay legal, if it is going to be illegal to use them in the cockpit?

Simple. No network. This can all be addressed by policy in opspecs.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty big on the sterile cockpit rule from the time the flight begins--time throttles are advance for the purpose of flight. That includes taxi for me. I see many people just yak and not pay any attention to what's going on while taxiing. I'm flying something a bit more challenging and want to make sure everything is set up properly, especially before I launch from my home dome Class D under B or any other busy field. That being said, I can see diverting attention a bit when there's a known delay. Was behind a B-24 and their run up takes f o r e v e r.

Anyway, the more folks that use poor judgement, the more rules we'll all get.

Best,

Dave

Personally, I think this is just anti-qwerty bias. FMS keyboards never get this sort off flak.

I'm waiting for them to say something about the cell phone connectivity through the later models of audio panels. Its great for picking up a clearance but I could see some chatterbox going overboard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Unless the txt said, "Gee, we're way over gross! I sure hope this thing can fly!" I can see no relevance to a text five minutes before departure.

How about: "Can you remind me what the stall recovery technique is? I am supposed to pull up, right?

Um, blame Congress, not the FAA for this one. They mandated the rule.

They are using specially "certified" ipads...basically there's no angry birds or words with friends on them.

What box is that?

David

Flight Cheetah 650

Fits into an MFD sized cutout - which I happened to have in my panel when I bought the plane.

panel.jpeg

I will never be convinced that a tablet is a better solution. Cheaper, yes. Better, no. I never have to look down for anything. All the charts I need are on it, has all the airport information in it, it has terrain with 3d view, (use it like synthetic vision based off the terrain database) gives me all my step down altitudes without having to look at the plate. And when flying the approach if you have it in 3D mode it gives you boxes to fly through (like the old flight sims had) so you are on path horizontally and vertically. I don't really use the 3d view since everything around here is flat. But I could see it being useful where there are pointy things. It is touch screen and I have a wireless texting keyboard hooked up to it which is MUCH easier when it's bumpy.

You can also get an XM antenna, and a solid state gyro hooked to it for weather and a backup AI. If you get the XM subscription, it will also do a "best flight level" for you based on winds.

I also have a handheld unit at home I can do all my flight planning with, or set up all the filters, throw it on USB, and save it on the unit in the panel. The handheld is my backup as the one in the panel runs off airplane electrical. (DC adapter)

Last edited:
Back