FAA Medical Nonoperational

House calls are ridiculously inefficient. The provider spends too much nonproductive time in transit.

Not when the statists and urban planners have us all living in densities of 50,000 people per square mile. Then you just have to take the light rail from building to building, and take appointments by floor. Duh.

Not when the statists and urban planners have us all living in densities of 50,000 people per square mile. Then you just have to take the light rail from building to building, and take appointments by floor. Duh.

Australia and Europe represent much the same urban and suburban structure one sees in America, Australia has even greater percentage of unoccupied yet medically serviced rural areas through the use of GA aircraft. The fact is, every other country has a 'primary medicine comes to you' service, and every other country gets way more bang for their healthcare dollar. Our results are not representative of our costs. You would think that if these systems were so inefficient, they would have been scrapped long ago. The primary difference is that the product of their medical systems is medical care, the product of ours is money. Our system provides the greatest efficiency of collecting money from the general population.

What's a cheesehead doing in Arizona?

I love AZ, but the cardinals are pretty terrible!! I'm originally from South Dakota, no football team there so you kinda just pick one :D

I love AZ, but the cardinals are pretty terrible!! I'm originally from South Dakota, no football team there so you kinda just pick one :D
We live in the UP of Michigan which is about 70/30 Packers/Lions fans. I would much rather be in Arizona during the winter months.

We live in the UP of Michigan which is about 70/30 Packers/Lions fans. I would much rather be in Arizona during the winter months.

aren't the winter months in the UP from late Sept to Early August???:dunno:

We live in the UP of Michigan which is about 70/30 Packers/Lions fans.
Since we're threadjacking - Calvin Johnson grew up just down the street from me and went to high school and college with my oldest daughter. Good kid - glad to see him doing well.

Since we're threadjacking - Calvin Johnson grew up just down the street from me and went to high school and college with my oldest daughter. Good kid - glad to see him doing well.
We are Packer fans, actually part owners. I think we own 0.000002% of the team.

We are Packer fans, actually part owners. I think we own 0.000002% of the team.

Me too,! I get a kick out of the stockholders letters. I'd like to go to a meeting someday.

Typically 15-20 in a 4-5 hr evening. You don't normally get stuck in traffic jams when operating within a set of neighborhoods that doesn't require getting on major highways, and that is how the Locum service arranges the calls. There is also outside benefit to everybody and that is not having to take off work to go see the doc for routine stuff, and no wasted time in waiting rooms. As for the practitioner, next to no overhead.

BTW, the other great advantage that nationalized programs have for the practitioners is that you aren't paying more for malpractice insurance than you take home.
That is one patient every 12 to 20 minutes including travel. How can anybody do a proper evaluation in that period of time? You need to get there, probably take vital signs including at least blood pressure and heart rate, review medications, take a history, formulate a plan and document it and possibly write a few prescriptions. Even if I could do several things simultaneously I can't practice good medicine that fast.

A physician who travels to each patient is a part time cab driver, part time nurse and part time physician. How is this suppose to be efficient? When I'm in the office I am a full time physician although nowadays that includes a lot of BS computer tasks or paperwork. As soon as my Star Trek medical tricorder arrives I might consider it. The closest thing I do to a house call is to travel to rural hospitals and clinics for a week every couple of months.

Back to the topic: FAA medical is very operational today. Cleared out my approval backlog in one huge exhausting day.....thank you to the agency docs who put up with the onslaught, a dozen and a half airmen are really appreciative.

How are we looking for the SI folks?
Previous post was all SIs. Just need your INRs 4/5 sequential evenly spaced between 2.0 and 3.0

Who knew it was going to turn out like this. It could have been very very bad. Today was an unfathomable amount to detail discussion, calls, call backs. I even stopped taking phone calls from airmen until the agency closed. Last one was cleared at 3:45 PM.

Last edited:
Back to the topic: FAA medical is very operational today. Cleared out my approval backlog in one huge exhausting day.....thank you to the agency docs who put up with the onslaught, a dozen and a half airmen are really appreciative.

Hopefully that will be the case for my student who has endured more random things thrown at her than I've ever heard of before. Crossing our fingers....

Nah. We're quittin'. :dunno:

What I tell my star-eyed students hell-bent on going to medical school. Doesn't stop them though, heck it doesn't even slow them down. Good thing is its the new normal, and the kids will deal with it just fine.

What I tell my star-eyed students hell-bent on going to medical school. Doesn't stop them though, heck it doesn't even slow them down. Good thing is its the new normal, and the kids will deal with it just fine.
They think medicine is like Scrubs or some TV show. Too bad they have to go through so much time and expense before reality kicks in.

They think medicine is like Scrubs or some TV show. Too bad they have to go through so much time and expense before reality kicks in.
And most seem to have no appreciation of the amount of debt they'll begin their career with. A good friend's son is in pharmacy school. He'll graduate with almost a six figure debt. He's got no clue how that will affect his lifestyle once out of school. To him it's just a number.

:goofy:I'm off for Oklahoma in a little over a week now that everything is open again!!!

:goofy:I'm off for Oklahoma in a little over a week now that everything is open again!!!

Let us know how that goes. While I'm not a doc, I'm always interested in finding out more about FAA Medical.

Previous post was all SIs. Just need your INRs 4/5 sequential evenly spaced between 2.0 and 3.0

Who knew it was going to turn out like this. It could have been very very bad. Today was an unfathomable amount to detail discussion, calls, call backs. I even stopped taking phone calls from airmen until the agency closed. Last one was cleared at 3:45 PM.

Well, I can attest to all of this! I was going to start yet another "Thank you Dr. Bruce" thread, but this is a good place to say it.

I had the luck and fortunate timing to have my appointment for my Class III medical with Dr. Bruce at 1000 hrs the FIRST morning that the government reopened for business! I could tell he was working his ass off for his Class I patients on the phone with the folks in Oklahoma, but I got great news from him too. No more SI! I don't have to send in a PSA annually; only for my next couple medicals. I'm out of my SI three years early! Woo Hoo!!!! :happydance::cheers:

See you in two years, Dr. Bruce! Thanks for everything.

I have to say that I am really impressed at how this turned out. Congratulations to you and the folks in OK City for getting it done! :thumbsup:

Did my medical on 9/13 and just received my letter today. They even removed my SI that I've been on for eight years and I'm back on a normal medical!!! Sweet!

Eggman

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back