faa medical correction response time

chance9999

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
chance9999
hello i recently passed my 2nd class medical. When i did the medical express form 8500 online i failed to mark a box yes and prnc. After the fact ( a week after passing my medical) i had notified the faa explaining i had failed to check "yes" and prnc. it has been 7 weeks with no response yet received. I am flying happily with my medical, but curious as to the process time and/or typical response from this error on my part. Thank you for your feedback

There’s people telling stories here of over a year with special issuances, so I wouldn’t get too worked up over 7 weeks. My advice as a non-Doctor is worth exactly what you paid for it, though. :)

As a possible aside, on another board I’m on there’s folks discussing a recent request NOT to mark things PRNC anymore saying the FAA is saying they don’t want those, but I haven’t dug into it nor have they cited any official FAA documents.

Maybe the days of PRNC on some things is going to go away. It’s not like the stuff isn’t already in the freaking database. But anyway...

Maybe @bbchien can shed some light on whether there’s been a change on instructions for PRNC items. I haven’t been able to find it if there are, but maybe it’s buried inside the “logged in and filling out the form” portion of the MedXpress website.

The fact that you could still select it throws a lot of cold water on that whole possibility to me, though... but government isn’t exactly speedy in changing websites to match their forms and bureaucracy changes.

Probably has to go out to a months long bid to remove a drop down item and then some contractor will claim such web interface work takes months and hundreds of thousands of dollars; while the rest of us in the private sector change our web interfaces sometimes more than once a day. LOL.

Nate, I've seen similar discussions (on the Red Board I think) and I think the directive is to the AME to ask about that stuff even if it's marked PRNC, not that you shouldn't mark anything PRNC. I know my last couple of 3rd class exams the AME queried me on everything that I had been marking PRNC ever since I started going to him to be sure he had the correct skinny on all of those items.

Basically, you can still mark anything PRNC, but the AME still has to submit a complete report as if you hadn't marked it.

Bruce would know for sure, of course.

PRNC just makes me work harder.
The Job, of a good AME is to bring to a close with his commentary and knowledge of the situation, anything that deviates from "normal natural health", e.g, "Rotator cuff repair has full range of motion and power and is therefore fully recovered".

So I have to develop the "what was previously reported" and bring that line of potential disqualification to a close. So the less you put on there, the more I have to ask.....

Curious as to how long the Faa takes to allow a correction for my marking no and not yes. I went to a new AME due to my other AME retiring and when i did the 8500 on line i was not entirely focused on filling it out, Not wanting to let this go without correction , so as future medicals will show the same yes and no's i sent a letter to the faa explaining my error. Do they not let pilots know any time frame or approximation of how to simply rectify the problem via new 8500 form etc, Its almost like planning a wedding with no date

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back