FAA medical (arrested for cocaine 15 years ago)

trustyrusty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Trustyrusty
Do I have a chance of passing medical? I was arrested for possession of cocaine 15+ years ago. (I wasn’t guilty.) The case was no billed, meaning there was not enough evidence for prosecution to charge me. The arrest was later expunged. Is it possible for me to pass background and medical for commercial pilot training? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Do I have a chance of passing medical? I was arrested for possession of cocaine 15+ years ago. (I wasn’t guilty.) The case was no billed, meaning there was not enough evidence for prosecution to charge me. The arrest was later expunged. Is it possible for me to pass background and medical for commercial pilot training? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I should clarify… I was wrongly arrested.

Yes, for drugs possession it is the final conviction that counts. So you’re in the clear…..unless

the incident had some bearing on you DL history. Once a car or boat where You are the operator is involved, it all changes. Every arrest for DUI—drugs or alcohol, regardless of the final disposition has to be reported. AOPA has an explanation, since there are different reporting requirements before & after 1990.

if there is ever any doubt in your mind, join AOPA at the pilot protection level & get free factual advise from AOPA affiliated doctors & lawyers on almost any topic.

standard POA list advice: if there is ever any doubt about any medical condition, rx drug, or history, get an ”advisory” appointment with the AME. Never fill in the online form until you are 100% certain you will pass. Instead, print it out & take it with you to the advisory exam. Sometimes, It is just a matter of switching to an FAA approved drug for your condition.

yes, you will pay for two physicals, but but the time & pain involved in being denied a physical & having to go through the SI(special issuance) process is worth it.

Any history of Depression, ADHD, etc. require special handling. Like the military, until recently the FAA would rather have you self-medicate with alcohol (as long as you don’t get caught behind the wheel) than take an antidepressant.

good luck.

Yes, for drugs possession it is the final conviction that counts. So you’re in the clear…..unless

the incident had some bearing on you DL history. Once a car or boat where You are the operator is involved, it all changes. Every arrest for DUI—drugs or alcohol, regardless of the final disposition has to be reported. AOPA has an explanation, since there are different reporting requirements before & after 1990.

if there is ever any doubt in your mind, join AOPA at the pilot protection level & get free factual advise from AOPA affiliated doctors & lawyers on almost any topic.

standard POA list advice: if there is ever any doubt about any medical condition, rx drug, or history, get an ”advisory” appointment with the AME. Never fill in the online form until you are 100% certain you will pass. Instead, print it out & take it with you to the advisory exam. Sometimes, It is just a matter of switching to an FAA approved drug for your condition.

yes, you will pay for two physicals, but but the time & pain involved in being denied a physical & having to go through the SI(special issuance) process is worth it.

Any history of Depression, ADHD, etc. require special handling. Like the military, until recently the FAA would rather have you self-medicate with alcohol (as long as you don’t get caught behind the wheel) than take an antidepressant.

good luck.
This is super helpful as it gives additional insight into another question I had regarding my medical history as I fill out the Xpress application. Thank you!

wow, wow, wow thank you for that info about an advisory exam. I didn’t realize that was an option. I will be doing that.

Will post this question here and maybe create a new thread for traction, but does anyone have a recommendation for an AME (prefer ons that offers consultation) in the Houston area?

Will post this question here and maybe create a new thread for traction, but does anyone have a recommendation for an AME (prefer ons that offers consultation) in the Houston area?
Dr. Schuhmacher. He's in Webster. AME practice only - that's all he does.

Back