FAA mandating minimum failure rates?

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I just heard through the grapevine that an examiner I've used and recommended in the past can no longer give a particular type of checkride because he didn't have a high enough failure rate.

If true (and I'm still trying to confirm this info), wouldn't this mean PTS standards are meaningless if some percentage of applicants MUST fail in order for the DPE to maintain his/her authorization?

Anyone run across this before?

In our local FSDO, DPEs get flagged for a review if they pass more than 90% applicants. This generally correspond to historic failure rate anyway. If the review establishes that nothing untoward was happening (like "pencil-whipped" checkrides), nothing happens to the DPE under suspicion. There is no hard "rule" that 10% must be failed over a certain time period or across a certain number of checkrides.

All the DE's I know laugh at that perennial rumor and say they have no problem with more than enough people failing themselves.

Local DPE and good guy got busted by FAA for allegedly failing to pink-slip a sufficient number of applicants. He pressed to obtain the formula then used his actual results to shove it up theirs at the meeting. It was a trumped-up deal from the get-go and during the ordeal he moved his plane to another hangar so dunno how the story ended.

Here is the actual guidance on point in FAA Order 8900.1:
C. Other Inspections. In addition to the inspections and surveillances described in subparagraphs 13-504A and B, an aviation safety inspector (ASI) may want to consider additional inspections and surveillance of examiners under the circumstances listed below.
· An examiner whose practical test passing rate exceeds 90 percent;
· An examiner who conducts three or more complete practical tests on a given day;
· An examiner who tests a student trained by that examiner without approval from the supervising field office or FAA office;
· An examiner whose certification file error rate exceeds 10 percent;
· An examiner who is the subject of a valid public complaint; or
· An examiner who has been involved in an accident, incident, or Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) violation.
NOTE: ASIs, in consultation with their FSDO management, may use their discretion and judgment in the kind and frequency of monitoring and inspections of their individual examiners. For example, an ASI should consider the difference between a pass rate exceeding 90 percent for a DPE that has conducted very few practical tests, and a pass rate exceeding 90 percent for a high activity DPE. Similarly, if a DPE’s error rate is above 10 percent, the ASI should consider whether the DPE has conducted very few practical tests or is considered high activity. Also, in a case where a DPE may have an excellent record for serving the public, and one applicant files a complaint, the ASI may want to discuss the complaint with the DPE, but the depth and detail of the monitoring, inspection, and surveillance may not have to be significant. Again, we expect ASIs to use their discretion and judgment and be professional.
So, over 90% pass rate means only that the examiner's POI "may want to consider additional inspections and surveillance." It is not a threshold for revoking the designation.

In our local FSDO, DPEs get flagged for a review if they pass more than 90% applicants. This generally correspond to historic failure rate anyway. If the review establishes that nothing untoward was happening (like "pencil-whipped" checkrides), nothing happens to the DPE under suspicion. There is no hard "rule" that 10% must be failed over a certain time period or across a certain number of checkrides.

The DPE I took my Private and Instrument rides with got an extra supervised checkride thanks to passing over 90%. Didn't lose his designation, though - He even flat-out said to the FAA that he didn't expect his CFI's (he was the flight school manager as well) to send someone for a ride unless they were really ready. I'd put him in the "tough but fair" category, but he still had better than 90% pass rate.

Back