FAA is being smart for once!

It's a big mistake to make an announcement like that, unless he's just looking for a better pricing deal from Microsoft.

Microsoft will lobby to get the guy fired. They did that when the CTO of Massachusetts mandated that the state documents must be in Open Doc format and banned Office doc formats.

Last edited:
We in the National Park Service have an indefinite moratorium on upgrading to Vista or any newer versions of Office. They left it up to the user to decide if they wanted IE7. I've bootlegged Firefox at work so I could care less :D Not my problem they made the mistake of giving me administrator privileges on my laptop...

I use the free Google apps at home and am very satisfied.

Actually while I like the idea of a thin-client from a security and operational standpoint, I have to learn more about this app.

One thing I am adamant about with my clients is that they think long and hard about "online" apps that are hosted elsewhere. Folks the Internet is saturated and inundated as-is, with telco outages and such the norm. Can you imagine telling your boss you cannot get something done because you cannot get on the Internet?

It's a big mistake to make an announcement like that, unless he's just looking for a better pricing deal from Microsoft.

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner.

But even I, an avowed Microsoft supporter (apologist?), have to admit that Google Apps is really, really slick. And $50/user/year is super cheap, 'specially when you figure in the fact that there's zero infrastructure cost and a somewhat smaller support staff cost.

Open Office.

Or, if you must pay, buy WordPerfect Office. Works vastly better than Word, but you have to endure paying less.

Open Office.

Or, if you must pay, buy WordPerfect Office. Works vastly better than Word, but you have to endure paying less.

I just checked our Microsoft Employee discount deal - the company group discount. Office is professional is still like $125. Office Mac Professional is still $175.

Take a look at a box on the shelf in a "discount" retail store sometime. They boxes are marked $499 - $699.

Either are worth maybe $50-$75 any day.

I'll live perfectly well not using either at home. I'll use Open Office.

Back