FAA instrument written test

John1121

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John1121
Hi,

I'm about to do the FAA instrument written test next week. I'm studying tge Gleim book 2017 and I have heard that the questions for the FAA have been recently changed! Is that true?
If someone did the test recently, please let me know..
thanks

Yes. All of the test questions were re-vamped recently. If you understand the concepts being taught and/or reinforced by the Gleim book, you will do fine.

The test question pool hasn't been published for something like a decade. Example questions are published but you'll need to know the subject material not memorize questions and answers to pass.

Some vendors ask test takers to send them examples from the real tests. Morally and by law, this isn't right, but it's done.

All of the "big name" training material vendors have materials that are good including Gleim. Some have money back guarantees if you take their practice tests.

FAA says the latest roll of new questions was in October 2016 and claims all questions are now up to date based on the new ACS and not the old PTS for Private certificates and Instrument ratings.... here:

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/whats_new_general.pdf

Hi,

I'm about to do the FAA instrument written test next week. I'm studying tge Gleim book 2017 and I have heard that the questions for the FAA have been recently changed! Is that true?
thanks

Any relation to @John777?

Hi,

thanks

The practice test helps and some of the questions that you see from the big publishers are still there but for sure most of the questions will be something you haven't seen before. If you're doing well with the concepts and doing well with the practice tests you should be okay. I was averaging in the low 90's on my practice test and walked away with an 87% on the written. I made a couple stupic mistakes and there was one question that totally threw me but other than that it was nothing that I didn't expect.

I took the test right before the ACS came into play, so I won't be a lot of help. But like was said, if you understand the concepts taught by Gleim, you should be good to go. Of course, with the FAA knowledge tests I have taken, there will likely be a couple of questions that frankly don't make much sense, so you will just have to wing those couple!

What law? Morally not right how?

The one quoted on the screen at the beginning of every FAA test that says you may not take anything out or discuss the test with anyone. It's worded even less nicely than my paraphrase, actually. Including threat of loss of certificate for doing so.

Back