FAA "God" syndrome

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
The FAA has told my mechanic that he can't perform an annual inspection outside his "region."

He owns 20 aircraft and went back in the plains somewhere to pick ferry another. The local FAA somehow got word and wouldn't allow him to sign off an annual.

I thought the "F" in FAA stood for "Federal?"

Is this just one cranky inspector, or what are the details? That's pretty extreme, no?

I don't recall ever seeing a license being specific to a region. I think the inspector is incorrect.

we get the bureaucrats we deserve.

I would think the "region" for a federal license is the CONUS. Something smells.

> I would think the "region" for a federal license is the CONUS

Why only CONUS?

DPE's are typically restricted by region/FSDO. I am unaware of such
limitations on A&P/IA's.

Region would be FSDO, there is a file at the FSDO for each IA.

I was told to give my PMI a call before working in another FSDO's area temporarily, and to tell him if I were to move permanently so he could send my file over.

thats like saying that a pilots license is only good in the fsdo that issued it. . . . I don't see ANY limitation in the regulations concerning a IA or A&P's ability to work anywhere i the US - permanent or temporary. Outside the US you don't need a US license so that answers that question - for now.

AME is federal, too, but is limited to the location specified in the appointment.....which is a Regional office, not unlike the FSDO....

The FAA has told my mechanic that he can't perform an annual inspection outside his "region."

He owns 20 aircraft and went back in the plains somewhere to pick ferry another. The local FAA somehow got word and wouldn't allow him to sign off an annual.

This inspector is out of line. Have the A&P contact the regional FAA office and file a complaint. No, I am not kidding. I had an inspector hold up certifying an LSA plane I built and inspected and approved by a DAR. Air worthiness cert was issued, but he delayed the paperwork because he didn't like sport pilot. I got a letter of apology from the regional director and the offending inspector was ultimately fired. This was not the first time he had played "God" and not the first time someone complained.

File the complaint and begin a file on this jerk. He has no business being an FAA inspector if he does not know the law.

Good point, the credentials should be good anywhere in the US. Someone at the FAA isn't entirely with the program.

I thought it followed me anywhere I could find a plane with an N on the side of it.

I thought it followed me anywhere I could find a plane with an N on the side of it.

Lots of US aircraft in overseas, but I don't know whether your A&P would pass muster there. I'm not doubting it, I genuinely don't know.

Lots of US aircraft in overseas, but I don't know whether your A&P would pass muster there. I'm not doubting it, I genuinely don't know.

I think it does, but as I haven't delt with the possibility outside of testing in school my recollection may be in error.

Also, to clarify my statement about the call to my PMI before working outside the CVG FSDO area seemed like a nicety rather than a necessity.

However I'm all for playing nice:yesnod:

> Lots of US aircraft in overseas, but I don't know whether your A&P
> would pass muster there. I'm not doubting it, I genuinely don't know.

When returning from Munich once, my row-mate claimed to be a USA
citizen, married to a German national and living in Munich for years ...
holding FAA A&P/IA/DER/DAR ... that worked almost exclusively on N-reg'd
aircraft in Yurrup. Said that it was a niche market without a lot of
competition, but that he was able to earn a respectable upper middle-class
living.

Last edited:
Bet Mr. FSDO confused this line from 65.95:

(c) If the holder of an inspection authorization changes his fixed base of operation, he may not exercise the privileges of the authorization until he has notified the FAA Flight Standards District Office or International Field Office for the area in which the new base is located, in writing, of the change.

Other than that I find NO geographic restriction applied to Mechanics certificates.

The DAR who signed my S-LSA off as E-LSA in Oshkosh had to get permission from the local region because he is based in CA. I don't know about mechanics.

Bet Mr. FSDO confused this line from 65.95:

(c) If the holder of an inspection authorization changes his fixed base of operation, he may not exercise the privileges of the authorization until he has notified the FAA Flight Standards District Office or International Field Office for the area in which the new base is located, in writing, of the change.

He did not change his base of operation, he still had his business "back home", he was getting another aircraft to take home. He needs to call his own "local" FSDO and ask what's up.

I have a folder at SEA FSDO, that does not mean I can't work anywhere I please.

If I can't, show me the regulation that says I must have an "Area".

There is a regulation that says I must report my change of address, and place I operate the IA certificate, but as long as I am not reporting a move or change of address, I am not required to tell the FSDO any thing.

FAR 65-91
(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;

Last edited:

One must wonder why the FAA was involved?

Was this a part 91 operation? Was the aircraft under a continuous Airworthiness Program?

I don't know. But all his airplanes are leased to 135 operators.

There could have been a safety issue that the inspector knew about and knew the A&P -IA was trying to avoid the ferry permit.

"You sign off an annual with this discrepancy and I'll have your ticket."

Just a hunch that a US A&P can only restore a US airworthiness certificate.

He did not change his base of operation, he still had his business "back home", he was getting another aircraft to take home. He needs to call his own "local" FSDO and ask what's up.

Exactly

There are many (hundreds at least) A&Ps and IAs working around the world.

Most (all those I know) did their qualifications in the USA.

One I spoke to a while ago told me that getting the A&P is easy but getting the IA is hard, so I assume there was some limitation on IAs based outside the USA.

I have just spoken to another IA who tells me that when he was doing his stuff (10 years ago) he had to specify a "base of operations" which in his case was a particular US State. A plain A&P was not in any way restricted but an IA was. In Europe, an IA has to register himself with the Frankfurt FSDO and his base of operations can be Europe.

There is certainly a limitation on Part 145 Repair Stations, where it is well known that no new ones are being approved outside the USA, and firms here in the UK trying to get the approval have been told that they cannot until another one has gone bust.

There are many (hundreds at least) A&Ps and IAs working around the world. Most (all those I know) did their qualifications in the USA.

Exactly, in the years I flew N-Registered airplanes outside the US I used several FAA licensed A&P based outside the US. It is the only way to maintain/repair an N-Registered aircraft outside the US.

One I spoke to a while ago told me that getting the A&P is easy but getting the IA is hard, so I assume there was some limitation on IAs based outside the USA.

I have just spoken to another IA who tells me that when he was doing his stuff (10 years ago) he had to specify a "base of operations" which in his case was a particular US State. A plain A&P was not in any way restricted but an IA was. In Europe, an IA has to register himself with the Frankfurt FSDO and his base of operations can be Europe.

The problem with most IA's outside of the US is the requirement to complete a certain number of inspections in order to maintain the IA ticket. If they can't do enough N-Registered annuals in their country, they have to come to the US and take some training. Other than that it is just like being in the US.

There are many (hundreds at least) A&Ps and IAs working around the world.

Most (all those I know) did their qualifications in the USA.

There is certainly a limitation on Part 145 Repair Stations, where it is well known that no new ones are being approved outside the USA, and firms here in the UK trying to get the approval have been told that they cannot until another one has gone bust.

We must have a base of operations, (that's my home or phone where I can be reached during normal working hours) that does not imply we can't work anywhere. We are restricted to working on aircraft with N numbers registered in the US at the FAA data base. and a couple others by bi-lateral agreement.

Exactly, in the years I flew N-Registered airplanes outside the US I used several FAA licensed A&P based outside the US. It is the only way to maintain/repair an N-Registered aircraft outside the US.

The problem with most IA's outside of the US is the requirement to complete a certain number of inspections in order to maintain the IA ticket. If they can't do enough N-Registered annuals in their country, they have to come to the US and take some training. Other than that it is just like being in the US.

This is not true..

There are several methods of renewing, doing 4 annuals for each year is only one method.

there are A&P-IAs that comply and renew by this option:
(3) Performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator.

Last edited:
Back