FAA Flight Plan form

OzPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OzPilot
Hopefully a quick question for you guys.

I am in the process of converting my FAA license based on foreign privs; to a full FAA license. (no more hassle with FR's in Australia as well as getting more ratings here in the states)

My question is based on the nav I have to plan for my checkride this coming week.

A scenario that brings the aircraft to MTOW, so I can only do 1 hour legs and have some buffer above minimum VFR fuel.

When writing the route portion of the flight plan in Australia, I may put

DCT XYZ XYZ ZYX DCT
for direct tracks to XYZ waypoints. In the remarks, I would place a note on the 2 fuel stops and bump up the enroute time by 25 mins per fuel stop or so, but keep the fuel endurance to 2 hours (1 or so for nav, 1 hour for buffer etc)

How do you write/handle this type of route on the FP form?

Cheers!

Personally, I wouldnt bother with trying to do this all on one flight plan. If my trip required multiple stops for fuel, I would treat each leg as a new flight plan. I wouldnt bother to make a "note" saying its a fuel stop.

So, if your flight involved two fuel stops and you really had to file a flight plan, i'd file three.

First FP: Departure Airport to First Fuel stop Airport
Second FP: First Fuel stop Airport to Second Fuel stop Airport
Third FP: Second Fuel stop Airport to Destination Airport

Last edited:
I agree that it's uncommon, but I think that you could file that way for a VFR plan too, right? Total time en route would be the sum of the flight legs and the delays. That way you wouldn't have to open and close three flight plans.

You can file whatever you want for a VFR flight plan, but I prefer to file individual flight plans to each fuel stop in order to reduce the area that my CAP colleagues would have to search if I went down.

It would also look a little weird if the total time enroute exceeded the fuel on board.

Hopefully a quick question for you guys.

I am in the process of converting my FAA license based on foreign privs; to a full FAA license. (no more hassle with FR's in Australia as well as getting more ratings here in the states)

My question is based on the nav I have to plan for my checkride this coming week.

Cheers!

Why a "checkride"? Perhaps I am ill informed. I was under the impression that to convert to a faa cert. on the basis of a foreign license,it was simply a matter of paperwork..... and for Instrument privileges;a knowledge (written exam) . What privileges are you seeking?

Why a "checkride"? Perhaps I am ill informed. I was under the impression that to convert to a faa cert. on the basis of a foreign license,it was simply a matter of paperwork..... and for Instrument privileges;a knowledge (written exam) . What privileges are you seeking?

I already have an FAA cert based on my foreign privs. Trouble is, I am a green card holder and live in the US.

So why bother doing my flight review and medicals in Australia, just to stay within limitations. I also cannot add endorsements or ratings while on the foreign cert.

Checkride passed, no drama now.. :)

So, tell us.... what did you end up doing for this flight plan form on the checkride?

Congrats on passing by the way.

So, tell us.... what did you end up doing for this flight plan form on the checkride?

Congrats on passing by the way.

Cheers :D

So I did ask about it.. a couple of answers came out of it.

1) With my Australian way, waypoints with delay (forgive me if my syntax is off)

-N012 DCT KLOM RAV KSEG DLA/25 ETC ETC DCT

I can use remarks to explain fuel stops, as endurance less than full enroute time.

2) three separate plans - just active and close as needed

3) use flight following without a plan to save some hassle

Cheers :D

So I did ask about it.. a couple of answers came out of it.

1) With my Australian way, waypoints with delay (forgive me if my syntax is off)

-N012 DCT KLOM RAV KSEG DLA/25 ETC ETC DCT

I can use remarks to explain fuel stops, as endurance less than full enroute time.

2) three separate plans - just active and close as needed

3) use flight following without a plan to save some hassle

Whoa there...KSEG, Ravine VOR, that's right up my alley! (When I'm at home)

Where do you fly out of?

Also, glad to hear the ride went well!

Whoa there...KSEG, Ravine VOR, that's right up my alley! (When I'm at home)

Where do you fly out of?

Also, glad to hear the ride went well!

Thanks...

Had to plan a flight from Wings KLOM to Cleveland which with passengers and baggage, at MTOW it only allowed 21 USG fuel.

KSEG was around an hour into the flight with the winds forecast for that day

Thanks...

Had to plan a flight from Wings KLOM to Cleveland which with passengers and baggage, at MTOW it only allowed 21 USG fuel.

KSEG was around an hour into the flight with the winds forecast for that day

Ahh, okay. I think I might incorporate LOM into my commercial 250, got a few pilot folks from around there that I'd like to meet up with!

Back