FAA FADDS Databases

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Ok, I was on the FAA site and managed to navigate to where I could get csv file containing anything anyone ever wanted to know about an airport, route, runway, etc.

They had files for different data and they would open into excel nicely w/ column headers and I could consume the data.

I don't know if something has changed or if I am using the wrong links but now I am in this thing called "Facility Aeronautical Data Distribution System" and it is broken into hundreds of text files sans headers.

Does anyone else play around in here and know if they have changed the system or possibly know where the links are to the csv version w/ headers?

I am digging around and it appears that the Download 56 Day NASR Subscription (March 05, 2015 - April 30, 2015) link (requires membership) is the closest thing to what I am looking for.

I know it used to be available the old way because I imported all the data into my database using SQL import w/ Excel as the source.

tips?

Thanks in advance.

*I get that this is total nerd s**t and if you can't make eye contact w/ me in the future, I understand.

Okay, MisterNerdPappaCharlie, you got some evil plan cooking in that noggin... care to share?

Simplifying or "simpliflying" :dunno:

I like to fill out a 1/2 page with departure / destination information before I fly.
I ALWAYS forget something. Usually "Direction of flight" which Approach asks w/o fail

So I wrote this program where I enter 2 airports and it gets me everything I generally write down on my kneeboard before a flight.

Enter code 1, code 2, click, print, done.

This is the interface so far

attachment.php

This is what the output looks like. 1 half of a landscape oriented piece of paper just the size of my kneeboard.

attachment.php

The algorithm for determining a heading using Lon / Lat is killing me.
50% of the time it works, the other 50%, I get a stack overflow because I really don't know what I am doing. A bit more hacking at it and I'll get it.

I am going to keep building on it hopefully add checkboxex to fill the right half with the return trip, or taxi diagram and also the ability to add 3-4 airports.

It is in its infancy right now but in its current state, it is perfect for how I use my kneeboard on VFR burger runs.

I am sure there are a million of these out there but I am building this so it will do it my way and I don't have to pay for it :)

Attachments

• Kb1.jpg
    Kb1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 148
  • kb2.jpg
    kb2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 147
http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/

Don't put any filters on it. On the next page after hitting submit, data downloads.

You're welcome.

I use this site as well to generate my list of private airports for my old AV8OR unit as the regular purchased update excludes them, I even made them available to anyone that wanted them.

The site has not had a fresh set of data loaded recently but I do have the files by state.
http://the-blue-tree.com/AV8OR/Main1.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You could just use Foreflight.....?

You could just use Foreflight.....?

I use foreflight but I am still a simple creature.

Easier to see my direction of flight, and TPA and ground frequencies w/o having to go clicking around.

Pretty sure that feature will get added when I get my IR ;)

Good opportunity to practice. For now with VFR flight it might be as simple as

C - SLR DIRECT
R - Runway heading, then left turn
A - 3,500, then 5,500 when clear of Bravo
F - 118.1
T - 5496 (or what ever is given)

50% of the time it works, the other 50%, I get a stack overflow because I really don't know what I am doing. A bit more hacking at it and I'll get it.

I wrote an excel algorithm for finding distance and heading for MGRS when I was in flight school. I'm sure it can be easily converted to lat long. I remember getting a failure 50% of the time as well, but an if-then solved that if memory serves, it was 9 years ago. I'll see if I can find it and send it to you.

Flying out of GPM, Ft Worth always vectors me all over the place with a final, " say on course heading" usually abput 5-10 miles from exiting the bravo. Never fails. It's like playing pin the tail on the donkey then asking me where The ass is at with the bling fold still on. If Foreflight had Siri, she'd be like, "you look drunk. Can I find you a hotel?" Always a good time.

I like to fill out a 1/2 page with departure / destination information before I fly.
I ALWAYS forget something. Usually "Direction of flight" which Approach asks w/o fail

So I wrote this program where I enter 2 airports and it gets me everything I generally write down on my kneeboard before a flight.

Enter code 1, code 2, click, print, done.

This is the interface so far

attachment.php

This is what the output looks like. 1 half of a landscape oriented piece of paper just the size of my kneeboard.

attachment.php

I am going to keep building on it hopefully add checkboxex to fill the right half with the return trip, or taxi diagram and also the ability to add 3-4 airports.

It is in its infancy right now but in its current state, it is perfect for how I use my kneeboard on VFR burger runs.

I am sure there are a million of these out there but I am building this so it will do it my way and I don't have to pay for it :)

=IF(AND(A5>0,B5>0),90-(ATAN(ABS(B5)/ABS(A5))*57.2957795),IF(AND(A5<0,B5>0),270+(ATAN(ABS(B5)/ABS(A5))*57.2957795),IF(AND(A5>0,B5<0),90+(ATAN(ABS(B5)/ABS(A5))*57.2957795),270-(ATAN(ABS(B5)/ABS(A5))*57.2957795))))

Not sure if this helps at all. Maybe you can extract my solution from this. Cell A5 is =("Destination Run"/100)-("Origin Run"/100). Cell A6 is =("Destination Rise"/100)-("Origin Rise"/100) You seem to be a lot better at this stuff than me, so you can probably figure out what I did 9 years ago. I can send the entire excel file to you if you want. Again, I did this for MGRS but I'm sure it can be converted to be used in Lat long.

I got Bryan the code already.

Excel, *snicker*

I can't wait to get home and play with it.
New job prevents me from doing much other than actually working. :(

If anyone wants to solve this problem, there's a hundred bucks in it for ya (I know that is nothing but I have it out to bid for that price online. Some hungry college student will do it probably)

I am retrieving ARPLatitude and ARPLongitude from this database
attachment.php

I am using this function to convert it to decimal Lat Lon values based on the min / sec in the original format.

attachment.php

This piece speaks for itself

attachment.php

When I compare my resolved headings w/ Skyvector, they are always off.

You can play with the website at : http://preflightdata.com/default.aspx (This is the sight I am building for my own amusement)

I am wondering if maybe I am converting the lat/lon to dec incorrectly and sending the wrong coordinates to the EdFred Function.

I realize this is complex and most of you are pilots and as such are able to get laid so you probably don't do this nerd stuff but maybe one or two of you are a closet geek like me (And apparently EdFred) and like to solve these types of problems.

http://preflightdata.com/default.aspx

Attachments

• latlon.jpg
    latlon.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 54
  • converttoDec.jpg
    converttoDec.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 55
  • EFCODE.jpg
    EFCODE.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 53
I'm an idiot, but mrsixPC, doesn't skyvector account for wind? I can't read code for anything, so I dunno if your fancy formula is applying wind correction, but I can tell you skyvector will!

TJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edit: also, what about magnetic variation?

Last edited:
If I draw a line from airport to airport on skyvector, the heading provided accounts for wind? W/O knowing my airspeed, how could it know? (I think)

I'm an idiot, but mrsixPC, doesn't skyvector account for wind?

And Please, call me 6PC.
Mr. 6PC is my father :goofy: <- Damn, I think that is funny as hell and like 4 people will read this nerdy thread

If I draw a line from airport to airport on skyvector, the heading provided accounts for wind? W/O knowing my airspeed, how could it know? (I think)

Nope. I'm an idiot. Magnetic variation maybe?

Apologies 6PC Jr.

Can we just call you junior from now on?

TJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And without knowing your time of departure? And the winds aloft forcast, altitude, etc.

It doesn't, that is why your return time is exactly the same..

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I am stupid

Really Stupid

Order of operations!!!

It's the little crap that messes you up.

Order of operations converting the "seconds" portion of the location to negative then adding it to the main number versus multiplying the entire thing by the negative multiplier for S and W lat/lon.

As a result I am always sending a positive number to the calc function.

I fixed it, I guess, I will pay myself the hundred bucks.

ugh. I'm fired.

Back