FAA Computer Failure - 60 Minutes Story?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Does anyone else think that the FAA's computer debacle is worthy of a 60 Minutes story?

Like many of you, I just went through a long, painful process of getting my medical amid constant complaints from FAA reps who said things like, "Our new system doesn't work and we're falling way behind." "I can't retrieve your records because of the new system." "Our system is down completely; please call back later."

I'm in the IT business, and this is truly a massive failure. I recall stories in the past about the FAA's huge ATC failure ($100's of millions if I recall correctly).

I think the FAA mostly gets things right. But whoever caused this...OMB or whoever...should be held accountable. I wonder if 60 Minutes or another news magazine might be interested. The story would have an interesting human side...numerous pilots unable to fly due to the massive failure.

Anyone want to join me in approaching 60 Minutes?

Does anyone else think that the FAA's computer debacle is worthy of a 60 Minutes story?

Like many of you, I just went through a long, painful process of getting my medical amid constant complaints from FAA reps who said things like, "Our new system doesn't work and we're falling way behind." "I can't retrieve your records because of the new system." "Our system is down completely; please call back later."

I'm in the IT business, and this is truly a massive failure. I recall stories in the past about the FAA's huge ATC failure ($100's of millions if I recall correctly).
$9 Billion. I was a consultant 85-89. Congress killed it in 1993.

$9B dollars and the system doesn't work. Think anyone has lost their job over this? I highly doubt it. Reassigned, maybe, but I bet they didn't lose any pay or retirement benefits.

No Bob. It's not.

Get the press on this and more resources will be diverted away from those finally who have been given the resources to get it fixed. The congressionals have fixed that. All you will do is encourage more stand ups before the cameras to say, "we will not tolerate any more......xxxxxxxxxx" And watch out for what you get. Oberstar. Mica. All the same.

It's sooo california to throw rocks....
You know, I get calls from the medical officers well after closing hours.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back