FAA and Foreign Language Requirement

Earthroamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Earthroamer
Got this from my POI. It's legit and there is an option on website that lets you select the reason. In case you'ens didnt know:

The FAA informed all U.S. operators today, February 15, that ICAO is changing their personnel licensing standards effective March 5, 2008 and will require all pilots who operate internationally to have an airman certificate with a language proficiency endorsement. To satisfy this requirement, the FAA is issuing new airmen certificates with the additional endorsement – English Proficient – to affected pilots upon their request. All pilots with current FAA issued airmen certificates automatically qualify and you only have to request a replacement certificate; make sure you indicate the reason for the replacement is “English Proficiency.”

A replacement certificate can be requested through the FAA website https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/Logon.asp or via U.S. mail; if you have not already established an online account with the FAA we highly recommend that you do. If you wish to mail in your request, send it to –

Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch
AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City , OK 73125-0082

The signed request must include your name, date and place of birth, SSN and/or certificate number, reason for replacement (English Proficiency), and your current address. There is a $2 fee for the new certificate.

If you have moved and not updated your address with the FAA, please do so before requesting a new certificate. If you don't, your certificate will go to your old address. This would also be a good time to request a new certificate number if you are still using your SSN.

If you are not planned to fly outside of the U.S. , including Canada and Mexico , in the next month, the FAA asks that you hold off on requesting a new certificate until April to allow a quicker turn for those pilots who need the new certificates immediately. They expect all affected pilots to have a new certificate by March 5 and have committed to a 2-week turnaround.

If you are not planned to fly outside of the U.S. , including Canada and Mexico , in the next month, the FAA asks that you hold off on requesting a new certificate until April to allow a quicker turn for those pilots who need the new certificates immediately. They expect all affected pilots to have a new certificate by March 5 and have committed to a 2-week turnaround.
That ought to be interesting to watch happen at such a pace. I don't see it happening.

My dad ordered his two days ago as he needs to be internationally qualified to accept any trips his company dispatches him on outside the US. I'll let you all know when his arrives.

I'm not in much rush myself because I will likely obtain my commercial or instrument before I operate under my pilot certificate outside the US.

That's great news for me! I don't know why the FAA thinks that I'm proficient at English, I'll sure take their endorsement :D

-Felix

That's great news for me! I don't know why the FAA thinks that I'm proficient at English, I'll sure take their endorsement :D

-Felix

Pick one or as many as you want or are applicable, they all say the same thing.
61.65(2), 61.83(c),61.96(b)(2), 61.103(c), 61.123(b), 61.153(b)

Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.

Since ability to speak English is a requirement for getting the license, and ability to fly an airplane proficiently is a requirement for getting a license, how long will it be before we bow to an ICAO requirement to have our licenses stamped "Flying Proficient"?

I wonder how many pilots who will never fly outside their state, let alone the US, will rush to get their new endorsement, and clog up the system. It will be like the passport fiasco.

Ordered mine just now. We'll see how long it takes to get here. Also, a new thing -- Photo ID verification for on-line ordering. You have to punch in the info on a DL or PP -- not sure how it matches to my face unless my computer has capabilities of which I was unaware.

Ordered mine just now. We'll see how long it takes to get here. Also, a new thing -- Photo ID verification for on-line ordering. You have to punch in the info on a DL or PP -- not sure how it matches to my face unless my computer has capabilities of which I was unaware.
They are watching you!

Well if they're asking for that when you order, do you think they'll actually put the photos on the new IDs? I understand that if you go to OKC in person, you can actually get one with your photo on it.

I think the French are behind this...;)

What are they going to do, detain you for speaking English without the endorsement?

Since ability to speak English is a requirement for getting the license, and ability to fly an airplane proficiently is a requirement for getting a license, how long will it be before we bow to an ICAO requirement to have our licenses stamped "Flying Proficient"?

I ordered mine a week ago. I'll let you know when I get it.

I got it today. So it was a nine day turn around. the only difference between this one and my last one was the addition of a magnetic strip on the back . The only 'photo' in it is of Orville and Wilbur.

Delayed until next year...

U.S. pilots who fly internationally are required to meet an ICAO standard for language proficiency and must request a replacement certificate from FAA with an English Proficient endorsement on it. The original compliance date was March 5, 2008 and in response to barrage of English Proficient certificate requests, the FAA has extended the deadline a full year to March 5, 2009. The good news is the certificate with the language endorsement is plastic and meets the 2010 requirement above, so you fulfill both requirements with one application.
From: http://www.aopa.org/members/files/topics/pilotcertificates.html

Now I'm hoping to have my commercial before I need to get this. Saved $2! :)

For those who haven't gotten a replacement certificate to remove their SSN you can avoid the $2 by doing so, also.
For those who haven't gotten a replacement certificate to remove their SSN, shame on you for waiting so long! Do it NOW!

U.S. pilots who fly internationally are required to meet an ICAO standard for language proficiency and must request a replacement certificate from FAA with an English Proficient endorsement on it. The original compliance date was March 5, 2008 and in response to barrage of English Proficient certificate requests, the FAA has extended the deadline a full year to March 5, 2009. The good news is the certificate with the language endorsement is plastic and meets the 2010 requirement above, so you fulfill both requirements with one application.

Ik zal dan blijven vragen ' om het even welk verkeer in gelieve ' in taal buiten het Engels te adviseren is. Dank!

Je continuerai alors à demander 'n'importe quel trafic dans suis conseille svp 'en langue autre que l'anglais. Merci !

Θα συνεχίσω έπειτα να ρωτώ ότι "οποιαδήποτε κυκλοφορία είναι παρακαλώ συμβουλεύει" στη γλώσσα εκτός από τα αγγλικά. Ευχαριστίες!

Я после этого буду продолжаться спросить ' любое движение в пожалуйста советую ' в языке за исключением английской языка. Спасибо!

我然後將繼續要求' 任一交通在是請勸告' 用語言除英語之外。謝謝!

For those who haven't gotten a replacement certificate to remove their SSN, shame on you for waiting so long! Do it NOW!
Don't be like me and wait until the one with the SS number on it is stolen to change it... :rolleyes:

Don't be like me and wait until the one with the SS number on it is stolen to change it... :rolleyes:
When I got my very first certificate and it had my SSN on it I was really perturbed. I then found out I could change the number and did so less than a month after initial issuance. I can't believe that people still have that as the certificate number.

I can't believe that people still have that as the certificate number.
Mine was my SS number for, uh, 29 years. It probably still would be if all my credit cards hadn't been stolen at the same time. I couldn't figure out how to pay for the $2 charge on the FAA website without a credit card so I went with the free change-your-number option. My excuse was that I didn't want to memorize another number and I seem to have to write it down on a regular basis. I know, stupid but stubborn... :dunno:

Mine was my SS number for, uh, 29 years. It probably still would be if all my credit cards hadn't been stolen at the same time. I couldn't figure out how to pay for the $2 charge on the FAA website without a credit card so I went with the free change-your-number option. My excuse was that I didn't want to memorize another number and I seem to have to write it down on a regular basis. I know, stupid but stubborn... :dunno:

I have always been very anal about that number. Probably my exposure to the US Privacy Act of 1974 at a very young age. So I always tried to not disclose my SSN.

Ik zal dan blijven vragen ' om het even welk verkeer in gelieve ' in taal buiten het Engels te adviseren is. Dank!

Je continuerai alors à demander 'n'importe quel trafic dans suis conseille svp 'en langue autre que l'anglais. Merci !

Θα συνεχίσω έπειτα να ρωτώ ότι "οποιαδήποτε κυκλοφορία είναι παρακαλώ συμβουλεύει" στη γλώσσα εκτός από τα αγγλικά. Ευχαριστίες!

Я после этого буду продолжаться спросить ' любое движение в пожалуйста советую ' в языке за исключением английской языка. Спасибо!

我然後將繼續要求' 任一交通在是請勸告' 用語言除英語之外。謝謝!
You speak funny.

But, your last line best represents most of your posts in the SZ. :D

Well, I ordered mine (no SSN) and they just came. They do NOT say English Proficient!

Mine does. Got it this last week.
Mine does too, but I know I specifically chose "English Proficient" from the drop-down box as the reason I wanted a new certificate. It shouldn't have mattered, though, because all new certificates were supposed to have it.

Back