FAA and A1c

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I fly under the SP rule (or less, if I'm in an ultralight), and I haven't had a medical in ages. But I'm interested in knowing what FAA considers an acceptable A1c level for DM2 SI purposes, just in case I ever have a shortage of frustration in my life and decide to pursue a DM2 SI.

Mine just came back at 6.8, by the way, probably due to relative inactivity for two of the past three months. It's usually in the 6.0 - 6.3 neighborhood. But we had a late spring, so lawn and garden work kicked in later than usual, hence less exercise.

Thanks,

-Rich

Treated: That's all good if accompanied by a letter from the doc saying, no neuropathy, no nephropathy, no Retinopathy and no known CV disease.

CACI'd: If on METFORMIN alone, and the Hb A1c is 6.5 or less and the Fasting is <126, that is a "condition AMEs Can Issue" (CACI) without an S.I and it's good for 2 years.

Untreated: that's Diabetes controlled by diet and exercise.

Treated: That's all good if accompanied by a letter from the doc saying, no neuropathy, no nephropathy, no Retinopathy and no known CV disease.

CACI'd: If on METFORMIN alone, and the Hb A1c is 6.5 or less and the Fasting is <126, that is a "condition AMEs Can Issue" (CACI) without an S.I and it's good for 2 years.

Untreated: that's Diabetes controlled by diet and exercise.

Thank you, Doc.

I'm only taking metformin, and I should be able to get the A1c and the fasting glucose down. My fasting glucose has been hovering around 136, which is down from the mid 140s before my new doc had me tweak my meal and metformin schedule. Add some more exercise -- I'm thinking about a treadmill with a laptop stand for while I'm working -- and I'm pretty sure I can make those numbers. None of the other sequelae you mentioned are an issue, either.

Right now, I'm happy enough with the flying I'm doing. But if I ever decide to move up, I'll be making a trip to Peoria. :)

Thanks again, Doc.

-Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back