FAA aircraft reregistration troubles

I noted a glider for sale on www.wingsandwheels.com that interested me.
I researched FAA.gov and the registration is listed as expired.

Has anyone had any issues buying and then registering an aircraft with expired registration?

Based on previous posts, the Airworthy Cert may also be declared invalid and need to be reacomplishlished?

I would think the aircraft would sell faster if the owner went through the reregistration headache. It seems to me that it would need to be highly discounted below the asked price for a buyer to not be able to fly for 3 to 6 months after purchase trying to get it registered.

When you send in the registration form, the pink copy is a temp registration certificate. So, you should be legal to fly as soon as you fill out that form and send it in.
AFAIK, airworthy certs don't expire, even if the registration does, they can be revoked though.

Anthony, no question your experience sucked. And actually, I was being sarcastic and should have included a smiley. I mean, the registration term is supposed to be 3 years, which is not all that long to begin with, but they just HAVE to cut a few months off the end of that??

Oh, I totally understood you were being sarcastic. I just wanted to add to the sarcasm. :D

These people totally forget that they are there to provide us with a service. Instead they believe they are owed full employment for life without really having to do any real work.

When you send in the registration form, the pink copy is a temp registration certificate. So, you should be legal to fly as soon as you fill out that form and send it in.
AFAIK, airworthy certs don't expire, even if the registration does, they can be revoked though.

The renewal application isn't the same as an application for new registration. There's no temporary authority nor "pink copy." I don't know of any statement from the FAA if they'd accept a copy of the application as a temporary.

They're currently running just under a month backlog on paperwork processing.

I did a quick survey (someone on the red board asked). The registration database as of 1-OCT-2011 is showing about 14% expired registrations for Standard category and 18% for Experimental--Amateur Built.

I got my notice to re2gister my airplane last week. This thread had me thinking it was going to be some sort of awful and hard thing to do. But 5 minutes later I accomplished the re2gistration without any problem at all. Just gotta wait for the new paperwork to show up in the mail now. But I have a receipt that says I did what I was supposed to do.

I got my notice to re2gister my airplane last week. This thread had me thinking it was going to be some sort of awful and hard thing to do. But 5 minutes later I accomplished the re2gistration without any problem at all. Just gotta wait for the new paperwork to show up in the mail now. But I have a receipt that says I did what I was supposed to do.

Mine showed up in a few days.

The expiration was from when they sent the note to re-register (I think) and not three years from the "Original" expiration date (which is next year).

Been waiting for 2 months now for my registration to be processed. Then I get a letter saying I have to print my name under my signature... Aie!
Hope I'm not in for another few months!

Same happened to me. There is very little or no space on the form for this "printed" name. My full name is on the same form a few lines above my signature. Go figure... In the meantime the registration is pending.

However, mine is a registration, so there's a "pink" registration application copy in the plane valid for 90 days.

The renewal application isn't the same as an application for new registration. There's no temporary authority nor "pink copy." I don't know of any statement from the FAA if they'd accept a copy of the application as a temporary.

That was my thinking too.

New registration showed up in the mail today. It was easy speasy and had a fast turn around.

Went to do the online thing last night but since I need to change address I can't do it online. So I printed off the form and will send it in. At least if they screw around and don't get it finished by December 31 it won't be in the middle of soaring season and I have another glider I can fly if a good ridge weekend in oklahoma presents itself.

well i checked online today and the registration has been renewed and address changes have been made.

I found the re-registration process fairly simple and accomplished it with little difficulty. Now I just wish the process for replacing a lost (or stolen) airworthiness certificate where as easy as re-registering.

Back