F8L Falco Questions

RhinoDrvr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RhinoDrvr
Hey all,

New to the board and looking for some info on the F8L Falco.

- Is there enough room for a 6'2" / 210lb pilot under a non-raised nustrini canopy? I've sat in a Lancair Legacy and 360 as reference points.

- Are there any falco owners in the VA Beach area who could be bothered to show a new guy around the airplane? I'll bring the beer.

- Are the insurance rates for the Falco similar to the Lancair? (~2000/Yr)

Thanks!
RhinoDrvr

Have you found a Falco for sale, or are you looking at building one? I think I have seen one in 25 years, sharp looking plane though.

Edit: Looks like the one I saw is for sale in Stockton CA.

Last edited:
Looking for one that's for sale.

I've been looking at that airplane, but before I spend the money to see it, I want to know if I'm wasting my time due to my stature and the nustrini canopy.

I've been looking at that airplane, but before I spend the money to see it, I want to know if I'm wasting my time due to my stature and the nustrini canopy.

Since every plane is built around the builder, (I'm not sure if another one even exists) I doubt you'll be able to answer your question without going there unless they have someone of your same stature (including the torso to leg ratio) try it on and report back. If you're really interested, just book the flight and go, you may fly it back.

Hey all,

New to the board and looking for some info on the F8L Falco.

- Is there enough room for a 6'2" / 210lb pilot under a non-raised nustrini canopy? I've sat in a Lancair Legacy and 360 as reference points.

- Are there any falco owners in the VA Beach area who could be bothered to show a new guy around the airplane? I'll bring the beer.

- Are the insurance rates for the Falco similar to the Lancair? (~2000/Yr)

Thanks!
RhinoDrvr

First post! Welcome to POA. Looks like we now have two resident Hornet (35 AOA) guys on POA.

Don't know anything about a Falco other than its a nice looking homebuilt. Personally I'd go with a Glasair III. Shouldn't have any problem fitting in that and you can bet parts won't be a problem. Still, both nice planes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking at Glasair III also, but I like the efficiency of the Falco on a 160HP motor, and the lack of a hydraulic system. Glasairs also tend to be much more expensive than Falcos.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking at Glasair III also, but I like the efficiency of the Falco on a 160HP motor, and the lack of a hydraulic system. Glasairs also tend to be much more expensive than Falcos.

Yeah might be right there on price. I love the classic looks and wood construction of Falcos. Seen a couple at OSH that were immaculate. Real works of art. I think they still make them somewhere in VA. Maybe a road trip and get a demo flight.

Remember that Flying article. Go check it out, if you are bent on a rare bird you are going to have to make an extra effort.

Sequoia used to be in Richmond (VA), dunno if they're still there or not, but you might give them a call and they're not that far from you. When I was considering a Falco they had a pretty good, if small, builders' network. Definitely a beautiful airplane.

Nauga,
and some pointless joke about wood

I have about five hours in 828TS. It had the lower canopy and at 6 feet tall my head was hitting it with a headset on. That being said it was a wonderful handling and flying airplane. Had a TAS of about 170 knots if I recall. With the raised canopy it would be in my list of top 10 favorite aircraft I've flown. If you modify the seat cushions you might fit.

Last edited:
My plan was to lower the seats vice raising the canopy if I was too tall. Thinner cushions or lowering the tracks. Any comparisons to the lancair cockpits?

Don't know about the Lancairs as I've never sat in one. However if I wanted a two seat screaming traveling airplane that handled great I'd get this.
a9e4a3ej.jpg

TAS of about 245 knots and handles like a dream. It being all metal is also a plus in my book.

Not much more room in a Glasair III. I've had one 6'2" pax in mine and it was a tight squeeze for him.

I've got my eye on the particular airplane I'd want, but it's across the country and I'd like to sit in a falco that's local before I started making cross country trips going on a wild goose chase.

Okay, well you are aware they sell the kits out of Richmond VA right ? I would be willing to bet that if they did not have a factory ship to sit in they would have a better idea than the guys around here.

I am aware of that, I believe they sold their demo ship though, hence my search. I've sent an email to confirm though

The former Falco advertising cover girl for sale in Stockton hasn't flown for many years, and, from the looks of some of the photos it has a collapsed shock strut. I love Falcos, but unless there was a substantial discount, I'd shy away from that particular one. About the only time these aircraft go for sale is when someone dies or loses his medical. It's one of the few light airplanes I really lust after.

You would shy away because of a collapsed shock strut? That strut is an off the shelf item and would take about 20 min to replace. If the airplane has been in a hangar so what if it hasn't flown. The biggest concern would be the cam corroding. This looks like a really nice airplane so go after it.

Very few SX kits ever sold and fewer remain on the market. Sweet plane though.

Very few SX kits ever sold and fewer remain on the market. Sweet plane though.

There's a contingent of Retired Air Force Pilots and wanna bees that RULE the skies in them around the Spruce Creek Airport every weekend. To listen to the frequency you'd think they're off to bomb Hanoi or something.

You would shy away because of a collapsed shock strut? That strut is an off the shelf item and would take about 20 min to replace. If the airplane has been in a hangar so what if it hasn't flown. The biggest concern would be the cam corroding. This looks like a really nice airplane so go after it.

It may be an off the shelf item on a factory airplane...I don't know about the Falcos'. You're right about the cam, also.

There are a number of Falco's for sale, due to lost medicals etc...and currently finding a particular airframe isn't as big of a deal as finding out whether or not the airplane fits me.

I've found a raised Nustrini canopy airplane that I can take a ride in, so that will answer the majority of my questions.

$110k plus power, prop, panel, and shipping. Over $200k by the time I'd be done.

Don't forget paint and probably upholstery! Not cheap at all. Only advantages I can tell at first is high useful load and maybe quick build times.

You know, it's a shame that the American market never seemed to enjoy aircraft such as the SF260, Falco, Valmet L-70 Vinka, SA Bulldog etc...

Cross Country IFR cruisers with military style aerobatic capability are my idea of the perfect airplane. Unfortunately it seems the majority of Americans are content to drill along straight and level in spam cans... :-/

You know, it's a shame that the American market never seemed to enjoy aircraft such as the SF260, Falco, Valmet L-70 Vinka, SA Bulldog etc...

Cross Country IFR cruisers with military style aerobatic capability are my idea of the perfect airplane. Unfortunately it seems the majority of Americans are content to drill along straight and level in spam cans... :-/

We did have the 33C model Beechs.

So, tell us Rhino, did you get a Falco ride? I think it's quite simply the most beautiful light airplane. Sure, anything with a nose wheel is just wrong, but at least the Falcos retract so they're not so embarrassing. Probably works best with a 180 horse. I'm probably going to look at the Stockton airplane next week, but I'm not expecting much.

I'm working on getting a ride in Bill Nutt's airplane N767CN. I unfortunately can't get time off right now to look at 805SH, but I'd be interested in what you find. It's in my price range, but I need to find out exactly how much work would be required to fix her up.

Barnstormers has a nice GP-4 for sale that might fit your needs. For some reason I couldn't get the link to paste.

Back