F/A-18E Down VA BEACH

Glad the pilot is OK. Hope he had insurance, $55 mil smooth policy should do it.

Think 35 AOA is a C model guy. Rhino is an E guy.

Last edited:
Global warming is causing the Bermuda Triangle to migrate.

:tongue:

What does that have to do with the accident? The aircraft crashed, the pilot ejected, he's in critical condition.

Hey guys, wasn't flying today but thanks for caring. Anyway, hoping that the guy has a speedy recovery.

Hey guys, wasn't flying today but thanks for caring. Anyway, hoping that the guy has a speedy recovery.

Good to hear man. Hoping for the best for the pilot.

Seems like he was admitted in critical condition but that's standard for an ejection and water immersion - there has been no update from any of the usual sources. . .

Seems like he was admitted in critical condition but that's standard for an ejection and water immersion - there has been no update from any of the usual sources. . .

Yeah I was just in instrument ground school this morning, where they talk for about 11 hours about physiology. The topic came up about dry suits, which everyone out at Oceana has had to wear lately since the holidays (FML). Anyway, I wonder how it worked out for him. Ironic that another data point (of which there were apparently only 6) occurred just a couple hours later.

There's a chance you find vertebrae in your undies I heard

Speedy recovery to the pilot

Hey guys, wasn't flyin` today either. Hoping the pilot recovers quickly. I appreciate the concern, though.

what are the typical (if there is such a thing) injuries when ejecting?

Totally depends. Mainly on airspeed when it happens, sometimes altitude and aircraft attitude dependent as well in the low/near inverted extremes.

Have known guys to eject on the runway with a gear problem that barely had a scratch, and have also known guys who ejected at nearly supersonic airspeed and broke most of the bones in their bodies and spent hours floating limply in frigid water. I didn't know the guys who went into the apartment complex a couple years back, but what I heard from our new guys who were in the RAG with them at the time said the pilot basically hit the building at a little more than school zone traffic speed, due to being so low when it happened and the parachute not fully deploying. That must have been pretty painful I'd think.

Last edited:
Do we know why he crashed yet?

Yes, can't really say more than that though. FWIW it sounds like the guy is more serious than I would have thought, so I'm sure him and family can use your thoughts this evening

Last edited:
Since we're on topic...I know USAF has a website where they post the final reports to their class A mishaps (at least they used to...think it's down at the moment), does the Navy have anything similar?

Since we're on topic...I know USAF has a website where they post the final reports to their class A mishaps (at least they used to...think it's down at the moment), does the Navy have anything similar?

No. Sometimes, if they garner enough media attention, the JAGMAN investigation (which is not the mishap SIR) will be released through FOIA. Big picture: legal JAGMAN investigation can be released, SIR (the actual mishap board) is privileged information and cannot be released. As an example, when VMFAT-101 lost a jet into UTC a number of years back, the JAGMAN findings were eventually released to the media, though the mishap board findings were not.

No. Sometimes, if they garner enough media attention, the JAGMAN investigation (which is not the mishap SIR) will be released through FOIA. Big picture: legal JAGMAN investigation can be released, SIR (the actual mishap board) is privileged information and cannot be released. As an example, when VMFAT-101 lost a jet into UTC a number of years back, the JAGMAN findings were eventually released to the media, though the mishap board findings were not.

Roger

Local news reported no head or neck injuries but both arms and legs are broken. Still in critical.

Back