F-16 low pass over spectators

Something tells me this isn't legal.

it's like 400 feet from the touch down point of a landing strip on public property. Looks like a popular thing to do for spotters.
See last 10 sec of video

Last edited:
I edited "low pass" to read "low approach" since it appears that he was landing on the nearby runway and not making a low pass as part of an airshow.

that would be amazing to see, but I'd hate to be "that guy" when something bad happens with the landing.

I have no idea if it's legal or not. It was a Turkish F-16 (and presumably pilot) landing at Waddington in the UK. FARs do not apply.

John

Something tells me this isn't legal.
As stated above, it's a Turkish Air Force aircraft flying in the UK. I'm not interested in doing the research necessary to speak to this one. However, my guess based on all the rule changes for demos by NATO air forces after the Frecce Tricolori disaster at Ramstein AB in 1988 is that if it was part of an air show, it violated the applicable rules.

Last edited:
The only thing that irritates me about this video is the CNN people talking about it as if it happened in the US.

This is a popular place for spectators in the UK to watch planes land. Just like Mach Loop, you can see other vids on YouTube of this particular place. Unlike the U.S. airplane watching is very popular over there. If this pilot did anything wrong, he came in slightly below what other aircraft do. Illegal would be a stretch.

As stated above, it's a Turkish Air Force aircraft flying in the UK. I'm not interested in doing the research necessary to speak to this one. However, my guess based on all the rule changes for demos by NATO air forces after the Frecce Tricolori disaster at Ramstein AB in 1988 is that if it was part of an air show, it violated the applicable rules.

I wonder what the "applicable rules" are? I don't think that the FARs apply in the US - in military airspace. It is probably 15 years ago, but I witnessed a performance by the Thunderbirds (at a military base) in which one of the team seemed to disappear for awhile. Then he buzzed the crowd from behind - full throttle with afterburner. Altitude? dunno - but it was low. For sure it was a surprise (not to mention deafening).

Dave

The guy is just landing after his demo. It's not a low pass or low approach. He's landing. The people are outside the fence not far from the approach end of the runway. Jet wash is going to affect them. There's another vid of a Typhoon doing the same thing at that very same viewing area.

I've landed there (and many other places with spotters everywhere). He was being a dick, prudent thing to do is land a bit long to give a pad of protection. If one of those spotters decided to throw his camera (or a rock) up, bye-bye very expensive engine. He should've landed long.

I wonder what the "applicable rules" are? I don't think that the FARs apply in the US - in military airspace. It is probably 15 years ago, but I witnessed a performance by the Thunderbirds (at a military base) in which one of the team seemed to disappear for awhile. Then he buzzed the crowd from behind - full throttle with afterburner. Altitude? dunno - but it was low. For sure it was a surprise (not to mention deafening).
The biggest change after that wreck was a prohibition on converging maneuvers towards the crowd. Beyond that, I'm not sure of all the details, as I'd left the service by that time.

Back