Eyesight problems

ChicagoJohn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John Abbott
The one thing that really has held me back from trying to become a pilot is that my vision in one eye has always been a weak.

Previously, when I've gone to doctors, they've suggested that it might not be correctible. The problem seems to be related to a rather obscure vision problem where my eyes have formed a second fovea.
Has anyone else heard of this condition? If so, has it hurt you qualifying for becoming a pilot?

What kind of pilot of pilot do you want to be? One of us low life baby eating light sport types, or are you thinking airlines?

And is the condition stable, or likely to spontaneously degenerate? It is possible, however, to get at least a private pilot certificate and the corresponding Class 3 medical with only one eye. It may require either a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) or a Special Issuance (SI). One of the docs should be able to tell you for sure, but I'm pretty sure that where there's a will there's a way, at least for Class 3. I don't know about a higher class, which would be required only to fly for hire.

What do you mean by weak vision in one eye? What is the visual acuity for each eye? Any problems with depth or color perception? What exactly is the problem?

Does the word 'Amlyopia' sound familiar ?

Did you have strabismus as a child and got it surgically corrected ('cross-eyed' would be the less PC term) ?

You are in Chicago, right? If you are serious about taking up flying, I suggest you head down to Peoria with your documentation and pay Bruce Chien, MD a visit to see what options you have. There are active pilots with vision in only one eye. For anything non-commercial there are options as mentioned above.

No worries. I took the monocular vision ride. You have to do it with an FAA inspector (not a DPE). You get a SODA, and then you're exempt from certain portions of the eye exam with the AME.

The ride was a piece of cake, by the way. Just fly well, do what you do normally, and you'll pass.

Dr. Bruce was a great help here, too!

If the "weak" eye can't pass standards, you do what Ben says. You get a first medical "limited to student purposes only", and about 6-8 weeks later you fly with the FSDO. IF you can spot traffic, judge depth, do the emergency landing setup, you get the Waiver and your medical certificate is replaced by an unlimited one.

This is my first unreg post, with a serious question.

I'm a longtime PPSEL in my 40's, always had a clean bill of health, no problems. Lately I've been having more and more "floaters" in my eyes and it has my attention at this point. I intend to go make an appointment and get my eyes looked at, but I'm concerned about my medical. My first thought is to go to a doctor and forget all about insurance and pay cash to keep it off the books, at least until I know what's going on.

Any recommendations? Doc Bruce?

This is my first unreg post, with a serious question.

I'm a longtime PPSEL in my 40's, always had a clean bill of health, no problems. Lately I've been having more and more "floaters" in my eyes and it has my attention at this point. I intend to go make an appointment and get my eyes looked at, but I'm concerned about my medical. My first thought is to go to a doctor and forget all about insurance and pay cash to keep it off the books, at least until I know what's going on.

Any recommendations? Doc Bruce?
The only reason to keep it off the books would be if you were planning on hiding it, which I wouldn't recommend. If you don't see the plane coming at you, YOU are the one who's going to lose! And, in general, a bit of Googling makes me think that floaters unto themselves are NOT disqualifying. They may be indicative of other things that can be more damaging and disqualifying, so get them checked out if they're changing!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back