Eye Test

D

davidy

If for example I fail the eye test, will I have a chance to visit the eye doctor before it gets reported to the FAA? I would like to go back and retest after the eye doctor visit.

Depends a little on what specifically you fail, what class of medical you are applying for and who your AME is.

If you are applying for a 1st or 2nd class (20/20 required) and you are only able to read 20/25 or 20/30, your AME (if they are willing) can make the change and issue you a third class medical as long as you meet the requirements of the third class.

If you apply for a third class and can't pass that, then I believe it is considered a denied/failed medical and you have to go thorough a painful process to fix it.

What is your specific eye concern?

What anyone can always do for any condition that worries them, is to go to the AME for a consultative visit. No FAA paperwork is filled out or issued, but the AME or their office tech administer the part of the exam for the condition to the medical standards. If you pass, then good. If you don't pass, then the AME should share his findings and discuss what approach might remedy the problem.

This gives you the opportunity and time to execute the remedy, then return once the condition is brought to FAA Standards.

If you do visit an ophthalmologist (and please do for a case such as you're implying, not some shopping mall Lens Crafters optometrist), then the form you need them to complete to document the exam is the 8500-7, Report of Eye Evaluation. Bring this, in addition to the doc's notes and readings and summary, and you should have everything the AME and CAMI wants on the first go around.

If for example I fail the eye test, will I have a chance to visit the eye doctor before it gets reported to the FAA? I would like to go back and retest after the eye doctor visit.
I am pretty sure the answer is "no". Once the AME begins the exam by opening up your file, there are three ways it can end: "Issued", "Denied", or "Deferred" (sent off to Oklahoma City for review).

I don't know what part of the eye test you are concerned about. They test near, distant, and colorblindness. In my case, my eye guy is also a pilot. I get my eye exam annually anyway, so I schedule it before my AME visit. He knows what to look for to make sure I won't have a problem with FAA.

The thing you will want to do is to make sure you can pass before you see the AME.

If you are borderline on whether or not you will need reading glasses or distance correction, get an eye exam and pick up glasses if you need them. When you see the AME tell him you want to take the test without glasses first and if you pass, you pass. If not, whip out your glasses and try again.

If you are worried about being colorblind, you are getting into a problem area. Some AMEs have ancient color charts and your eye-guy might have newer equipment. It's possible to pass that test in one office and fail it in another.

Why would you fail a eye test?

You should be pre testing yourself before seeing the AME, checking BP, print up a free eye test, lots of color testing online it's not 100% but it'll give you a 90% good idea of how you'll do, check heart and breath sounds, you should already know your medical history, can even buy a strip of you want to check your self for diabetes.

Shouldn't have any surprises going in to see a AME.

Because your eyesight has slipped to 20/50 and you didn't know it because you function just fine at 20/50.

Maybe it's becuse it's how I put food on the table, but not pre checking yourself before walking into a medical is something I can't grasp or risk.

I know I function just fine medically and am in better health then most, I still check all systems before I step foot in a AMEs office, heck it doesn't cost me a dime and only takes me 10-15 minutes.

I am pretty sure the answer is "no". Once the AME begins the exam by opening up your file, there are three ways it can end: "Issued", "Denied", or "Deferred" (sent off to Oklahoma City for review).
That is not entirely true. In the example I gave above, if he is applying for a 2nd class and doesn't pass, but meets the vision requirements for a 3rd, the Doc can downgrade/issue a third right thee at the office. Doc Bruce has said this before and my own AME has confirmed that to be correct.

But again, we need more specifics to be able to better advise.

That is not entirely true. In the example I gave above, if he is applying for a 2nd class and doesn't pass, but meets the vision requirements for a 3rd, the Doc can downgrade/issue a third right thee at the office. Doc Bruce has said this before and my own AME has confirmed that to be correct.

But again, we need more specifics to be able to better advise.
Yeah, I see what you mean now. But even in that case it's "issued", just not for the class he went in for in the first place.

Maybe it's becuse it's how I put food on the table, but not pre checking yourself before walking into a medical is something I can't grasp or risk.

I know I function just fine medically and am in better health then most, I still check all systems before I step foot in a AMEs office, heck it doesn't cost me a dime and only takes me 10-15 minutes.

You have an eye machine at home to check your vision that you got for free? Where did you get it?

You have an eye machine at home to check your vision that you got for free? Where did you get it?
I think he is saying you print out a near vision test, hold it 16 inches from your face and see if you can read the small text. They don't use a machine at the AME, they had me read letters from a card for near vision, and across the room for far vision. I don't think the OP gave enough info for advise. I showed up knowing my near focus is iffy, I had a pair of glasses in my pocket that I didn't end up having to whip out.

I was told on he far vision test to read off the smallest line I could see clearly...

He wasn't amused when I said, "M A D E I N C H I N A"

I think he is saying you print out a near vision test, hold it 16 inches from your face and see if you can read the small text. They don't use a machine at the AME, they had me read letters from a card for near vision, and across the room for far vision. I don't think the OP gave enough info for advise. I showed up knowing my near focus is iffy, I had a pair of glasses in my pocket that I didn't end up having to whip out.

How many people have an eye chart at home? My near vision is something like 20:10, but my far vision is 20:40 - yeah, we'll say it's that. I only find this out when I spend money at an opt- or AME.

How many people have an eye chart at home? My near vision is something like 20:10, but my far vision is 20:40 - yeah, we'll say it's that. I only find this out when I spend money at an opt- or AME.
Yea, you can find a PDF and print it, but anyway, most likely, if you have to ask(or wonder), then you probably have a problem. Time to hit the eye doctor(before AME). OP didn't really say why he thought he might not pass.

I don't know if it's against the rules or not (it wouldn't surprise me because Dr. Bruce tells me a number of things my then AME did would be grounds for decertification), but my Dr. allowed me to go get a couple of things prior to him completing the application (a Urinalysis and a letter from my treating doctor). Of course, the moron deferred me anyhow (inappropriately and then lied about what he did).

Yea, you can find a PDF and print it, but anyway, most likely, if you have to ask(or wonder), then you probably have a problem. Time to hit the eye doctor(before AME). OP didn't really say why he thought he might not pass.

I don't have a printer large enough to print the distance eye charts, though.

Machine?

My doctor doesn't even use a machine, what do you need a machine for.

Just print up the near, hold XX inches from your face and read.

Print up the far one, tape to wall with good light, stand back XX feet and read.

Both can be found for standard sizes paper.

Only machine needed is a simple printer, computer and Internet connection.

Machine?

My doctor doesn't even use a machine, what do you need a machine for.

Just print up the near, hold XX inches from your face and read.

Print up the far one, tape to wall with good light, stand back XX feet and read.

Both can be found for standard sizes paper.

Only machine needed is a simple printer, computer and Internet connection.

Ditto for color tests, lots of good online ones on the internet.

It's POA so I'll take a guess: OP thinks he is borderline on either near or far vision. OP doesn't have a prescription for corrective lenses. OP is thinking about going to the AME to see if he can pass - if so, he doesn't need an eye-exam, if not he wants to get his eye-exam and glasses then come back and finish the test.

Just a guess.

I just got for the first time Progressive Lens Glasses. I need to take my Class 3 medical test first of April. These Progressive Glasses are something to get use to. I have worn single vision glasses for several years. I would really like to make sure my new Glasses is not screwing with my eye sight before I take the Class 3 exam. Maybe in a couple weeks I need to do a follow up Eye test with my Eye doctor. Yes he is a real eye doctor and not a mini mall doctor.

Ahh. Yeah, I was in the same situation when I switched from bifocals to progressives.

They do take a little getting used to, especially around the peripheral.

Like you said, go back in for a follow-up (you probably won't even be charged), and check your vision for the class you are wanting to get:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

You'll probably be fine, even after just a couple weeks. I was worried, too. I normally get my eyes checked in August and my AME visit is in Oct. When I got my first progressives, I had about 2 months to get used to them and the AME test was no problem.

So my vision is maybe borderline. What exactly happens if you go to your medical and your vision is 20/30 near or something. On my class 3 2 years ago one of my eyes was 20/30 but then on my physicals for my USAF candidate stuff it was 20/20. I "don't" have an issue but if I was to say have a class one, then one day my vision is 20/30 am I grounded right then? Can you go to the eye doc the next day and get it solved?(via proof of 20/20 or glasses as needed)

I don't get what the vanity or whatever concern is about having "must wear corrective lenses while..." on a medical is. I really don't.

I was marginal for years. I avoided getting the restriction because I figured if I ever didn't have my glasses, I was fine. I always flew with them anyhow. I think I can still pass the test if they use an eyechart but those blasted machines are too dim for me to get 20/40 on.

I just got for the first time Progressive Lens Glasses. I need to take my Class 3 medical test first of April. These Progressive Glasses are something to get use to. I have worn single vision glasses for several years. I would really like to make sure my new Glasses is not screwing with my eye sight before I take the Class 3 exam. Maybe in a couple weeks I need to do a follow up Eye test with my Eye doctor. Yes he is a real eye doctor and not a mini mall doctor.

I doubt you'll have a problem passing a third-class eye test even with brand-new progressives. They take a while to get used to, but the third-class requirements aren't all that stringent. If you're not walking into walls, I think you'll be fine.

When I switched to progressives (with a dash of prism, as well), it took me about 12 minutes to get used to them for everything except nighttime use. That took quite a while longer. I actually wouldn't even drive alone at night for the first week or so. I wanted another set of eyeballs to watch out for deer, drunks, drunken deer, etc.

Rich

The AME I used this time had the stupid eye machine. I wish they would just use the wall chart and the peripheral test with a pen. That thing is a pain.

...What anyone can always do for any condition that worries them, is to go to the AME for a consultative visit. No FAA paperwork is filled out or issued, but the AME or their office tech administer the part of the exam for the condition to the medical standards. If you pass, then good. If you don't pass, then the AME should share his findings and discuss what approach might remedy the problem.

This gives you the opportunity and time to execute the remedy, then return once the condition is brought to FAA Standards.

One caveat about the "always" part: Not all AME's do a consultation where they check everything without an application being sent to the FAA. When I exchanged some emails with the AME that I have been using previously, he didn't seem to understand why someone would want a consultation first. Next I went to see an AME who advertises that he does consultations, but he just discussed with me a specific issue I was concerned about, without actually doing an exam. That was when I decided that rather than spending time on hunting for a local AME who knows how to protect the sport pilot option, it would be worth traveling to Peoria to see Doctor Chien. (In my case it turned out not to be necessary for me to travel, because he was able to assess my chances based on records sent from my clinic.)

The AME I have used in the past had me look into a viewer, which I don't mind, but chart in the viewer has segmented circles instead of text, which seems like a more difficult test than reading text.

Op here. I'm going in for class 3 first week ago. Going three weeks now on new progressive. I pretty much use to them now except for night time. I haven't had enough night driving yet. I will let you all know how my class 3 go. Thanks

The AME I have used in the past had me look into a viewer, which I don't mind, but chart in the viewer has segmented circles instead of text, which seems like a more difficult test than reading text.

I don't get this, is it that these guys have a tiny office without a long enough hall, or they had to spend money for taxes? Seems like the old wall chart worked quite well, didn't have he whiz bang factor, but really it's a friggin' eye chart

Op here. I'm going in for class 3 first week ago. Going three weeks now on new progressive. I pretty much use to them now except for night time. I haven't had enough night driving yet. I will let you all know how my class 3 go. Thanks

I hired the neighbor's college-aged kid as a "safety driver" when I got mine. I paid him to sit next to me while I drove around at night in both dark rural and lighted "urban" areas (at least as urban as it gets around here). His job was both to watch out for stuff and to be prepared to switch places with me if needed.

That may sound a bit extreme, but it really took quite a while before I was comfortable with the glasses at night. Then all of the sudden whatever autonomic neural mechanisms direct and interpret that sort of thing "got it," and everything was fine after that. Why? No idea.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back