Eye opener for passenger

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I did a short breakfast flight yesterday morning with my wife and daughter. Other than having to wait a bit for some fog to burn off, it was pretty much perfect conditions.

Now, my wife hasn't really flown a lot of GA. She doesn't see the point if we're not actually going somewhere. Given that, her experience with other airborne traffic is limited. Mostly, it's been something called out by whoever we have flight following with. Yesterday, that all changed.

In the matter of a 15 minute flight, she got to see a flight school plane doing steep turns in the practice area (thought it looked scary but cool), a helicopter and another Cessna go under us and while landing, there was a tree trimming helicopter working about 1 mile off the approach end. She hadn't seen one of those before and was amazed at the huge blade they use.

After we had breakfast and watched a bunch of planes take off and land, we were ready to head back. This is where my day got weird. We were parked right next to the restuarant in front of a huge glass picture window with a full restaurant watching.

I got my wife and daughter in the plane, then proceeded to do my walk around. As I was about to pull the chocks from the wheel, I remembered that I wanted to switch my daughter's headset to the other side. We were getting some noise and I thought that might fix it. Headset fixed, I climbed in. Yep, you guessed it. Forgot the chocks. After a bit of throttle, I realized what I had done. So I shut down and started to climb out. Well, my foot got caught on my headset cord and I ended up with one foot tangled up in the cockpit, one foot on the step and my hands on the ramp. Classic...and in front of a full restaurant. :rolleyes2:

The headset cord was torn clean and the tip of the jack was bent. My $70 breakfast cost had been greatly increased...(repair amount unknown). I pulled the chocks, found an extra headset and got us out to the runway. I was particulary careful with the run-up. After waiting for a couple planes to clear, we were off.

As we were departing, I called the tree trimmer to make sure he was still at tree top level as I passed overhead. He responded that "if you're below me, you're having a bad day". :D

We were about halfway home, when my wife got to see the closest traffic to date. A military C130 (I think) crossed left to right in front of us. It was about a 1/2 mile and a little lower than us. I turned behind it, but she was amazed that we could be that close. She has heard me talk about see and avoid forever, but this seemed to give her a better understanding of that idea. And then, we were extended on our downwind to allow a A320 Spirit jet to land.

Aside from the headset/fall on my face gaffe, it was a good day in the air. We all had fun and my wife got to see a lot from the air she hadn't seen before. Can't wait to do it again.

Now where is that number for Telex?

Last edited:
Ok. These used to happen to me more than I'd like. And they still do, but less often. They probably always will. But I've learned something.

Think back to how you felt just before this all started to go wrong. If you're like me, it was a vaguely detached, distracted feeling... maybe a twinge of frustration, I dunno..could be different for everyone. What I'm saying is, I've learned to recognize that feeling, and stop. Cold. And reboot. I actually pause and say to myself "this is how it starts... what are you missing?"

IMHO, rebooting (pausing and focusing. Think, then act.) works. Try it.

Think back to how you felt just before this all started to go wrong. If you're like me, it was a vaguely detached, distracted feeling... maybe a twinge of frustration, I dunno..could be different for everyone.

Very similar to what Robert Pirsig called a "Gumption Trap" in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

What I'm saying is, I've learned to recognize that feeling, and stop. Cold. And reboot. I actually pause and say to myself "this is how it starts... what are you missing?"

IMHO, rebooting (pausing and focusing. Think, then act.) works. Try it.

And that's the best cure.

In addition, a final 360° walkaround right before getting in will usually catch things like those chocks - unless your mindset is you already did that!

I'm going to have to Google for tree-trimming helicopter. Never heard of such a thing but it sounds awesome

At least you did not get cut off in the pattern by an idiotic C182 pilot who was using his Metal Landing Calculator to find the airport.

Lack of focus. I've done it a dozen times too. You were set on changing the kids headset to a diff jack, and didn't focus on the task at hand.

Now I'll come clean about mine. I was headed for El Centro CA once in the Citabria. One of my comm radios was on a pedestal between the rudders in front of the stick. I was farting with the freq control, and couldn't get it to sound right. Kept reaching down, and reaching down, and futzing with it. My GF in back said "HEY!" and I looked up to find us in a 70deg descending spiral to the right. Not a good plan, I left the radio alone till I got on the ground.

Last edited:
My buddy is an AF pilot with thousands of hours. For his kids birthday party he rented a little Cherokee for a few hours and flew the kids around the local area. He fired it up and then called me from his cell to ask if there is a trick to the parking break. Nope, you still have the chocks in and we are all laughing at you from the hangar. His excuse that he has somebody do that for him on his AF jet.

How exactly did forgetting the chocks result in that?

I assume the nose wheel was chocked and, in an attempt to "power over" the chock, the nose gear collapsed dropping the spinning props onto the ground. It would require that the nose gear alone is not strong enough to hold back the thrust of the engines.

Last edited:
I assume the nose wheel was chocked and, in an attempt to "power over" the chock, the nose gear collapsed dropping the spinning props onto the ground. It would require that the nose gear alone is not strong enough to hold back the thrust of the engines.

True.

No brakes on the nose wheel so not designed to withstand that much force. In the chock scenario the mains are not holding any force at all - it's all on the nose. Yikes.

Very good reason to not "power over" chocks. If the nose gear is that weak though, I'd think you might have the same issue with a "hard" landing.

I once had to ask ground control at San Jose International to cancel my taxi clearance so I could get out and remove the chocks! :redface:

Affirmative guys.

You could see the yellow scooch marks the chock made ahead of the nose wheel before it collapsed.

Our chocks are painted yellow.

I have left the chocks in twice, the first time I had to shut it down. The second time a put the chock rope on the inside. I simple opened the door and grabbed the top of my tow bar from behind the seat and hooked the rope and pulled the chocks into the cabin and off I went.

Back