Eye muscle imbalance and 2nd class medical

U

Unregistered

I have 3rd class medical now. Two surgeries as kid to correct eye muscle imbalance. Now you cannot tell unless I am very tired. Would I be able to get a 2nd class medical?

You'll need to visit an opthalmologist and get an 8500-7 filled out with the opthalmologist addressing bifoveal fusion break (measured in arc-seconds). You will show up on the maddox rod exam for 2nd and then the agency will demand it, so you might as well just go get it before hand.

Attachments

• 8500-7.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 146
The maddox rod can measure phoria. But getting an exam by your eye doctor should help determine your binocularity and what level of fusion you have. There are simple 3d type tests. If Dr. Bruce says the maddox rod test is THE test well then, ok. But it won't measure your fusion ability. Maddox rod is a test where you see a red line and a white dot so there is no way to fuse disparate objects.

The maddox rod can measure phoria. But getting an exam by your eye doctor should help determine your binocularity and what level of fusion you have. There are simple 3d type tests. If Dr. Bruce says the maddox rod test is THE test well then, ok. But it won't measure your fusion ability. Maddox rod is a test where you see a red line and a white dot so there is no way to fuse disparate objects.
Yup. It's a screening test, and it's mandated by the agency.

Like most DPEs, we check exactly what's on the list.

Say a pilot passes everything on the DPE list but the DPE wants one thing more and he doesn't like what he sees. Now what does he do?

Now go back and substitute "AME" for "DPE". It works the same way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back