External HDD

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
I'm looking into getting an external HDD (solid state) and was wondering if you guys could recommend a good reliable manufacturer.

Thanks

My two "go-to" hard drive makers for everything I've built is Western Digital (WD) or Seagate. They have the best product testing, warranty coverage and ease of use.
I've purchases hundreds of drives from both, and they either lasted beyond the usability of the machine they were installed in, or are still in use today. I think I've returned maybe 5 out of 500+ and they had new drives to me within 5 days of returning the defect.

That's my 2 cents.

I'm looking into getting an external HDD (solid state) and was wondering if you guys could recommend a good reliable manufacturer.

Thanks

What's the purpose of the external drive?

How much storage do you need?

Why SSD for external... seems like much of the speed of the SSD will be lost by the slowness of the interface (assuming USB ). FWIW Samsung, Intel, OCZ, SanDisk, or Crucial are big players in SSD. Samsung's newest have been getting excellent ratings.

I mainly need it for two reasons, backing up data and transfering large amounts of data with me (in the aircraft). Since it will be moving around I want it to be rugged so I really don't want moving parts, that's why I'm looking for solid. I don't really need a lot of room on it, 100GB will do fine (I'll take more but I wouldn't go out of my way for it). If there will be an option I will pay extra for it to be certified for a certain amount of impact shock (15-20Gs) and a couple of hundred pounds of static crush.

So far I've looked into Seagate and WD as Archammer recommended. They have some drives that I like they don't say whether their solid state or not, this leads me to think they are not, but I'll contact them to be sure.

Last edited:
I mainly need it for two reasons, backing up data and transfering large amounts of data with me (in the aircraft). Since it will be moving around I want it to be rugged so I really don't want moving parts, that's why I'm looking for solid. I don't really need a lot of room on it, 100GB will do fine (I'll take more but I wouldn't go out of my way for it). If there will be an option I will pay extra for it to be certified for a certain amount of impact shock (15-20Gs) and a couple of hundred pounds of static crush.

So far I've looked into Seagate and WD as Archammer recommended. They have some drives that I like they don't say whether their solid state or not, this leads me to think they are not, but I'll contact them to be sure.

Have you looked at the Lacie rugged drives?

Came across a data center article that mentioned using the jump drive chips for storage but the software is being adjusted to account for lower reliability. Evidently those are the lower binned NANDs which account for the lower price. I have the LaCie rugged with no complaints. Keep in mind SSDs are not perfect either - I lost one after just a year in service.

What's the purpose of the external drive?

How much storage do you need?

I'm no tech dude, but my buddy is. He says to use the external hard drive to load up large files like video files. Store them in the external hard drive and send them to you tube via the EHD. The "heavy lifting" of the transfer is handled by the EHD and does not beat up or clutter up the HD in your puter.

Last edited:
The chips for the flash drive are not as reliable more expensive options. Just make sure you back up your data and you should be fine.

Besides, you also have no need for external power with the flash drives

Okay I see. Thanks guys.

I'm leaning towards the flash drive at the moment, but haven't made my decision yet.

The flash drive is probably best for your application.

If you do decide to go with an external hard drive, I would look into purchasing one that supports USB3.0. It will work with standard USB2.0, but if your computer supports USB3.0 or you install a PCI card in your computer, the speeds are many times faster than you are used to. If you are transferring large files of using this as a backup drive, you will notice a huge difference. If you have an eSATA connector on your computer, you could alternatively use that and enjoy a faster transfer without installing new hardware.

The flash drive is probably best for your application.

If you do decide to go with an external hard drive, I would look into purchasing one that supports USB3.0. It will work with standard USB2.0, but if your computer supports USB3.0 or you install a PCI card in your computer, the speeds are many times faster than you are used to. If you are transferring large files of using this as a backup drive, you will notice a huge difference. If you have an eSATA connector on your computer, you could alternatively use that and enjoy a faster transfer without installing new hardware.

I don't have a USB3.0 but I do have eSATA, so you mean I can use an eSATA just like a USB port (with an adapter obviously)?

I don't have a USB3.0 but I do have eSATA, so you mean I can use an eSATA just like a USB port (with an adapter obviously)?

Yes, with one caveat... eSATA may not support hot-plugging and unplugging depending on your OS and hardware.

All that means is that you turn the computer off, plug in the eSATA external drive, and turn it back on for the drive to be recognized.

Most computer stores will sell you a case that holds a SATA drive and has both USB and eSATA connectors on the back, and a power supply.

I have a couple of them. Took 5 minutes to install the drive in the case, and I can use it with my server (eSATA) or my laptop (USB) as needed. I put a 2TB drive in it, put Acronis TrueImage on it, and it's an all-in-one backup/recovery device.

Yes, with one caveat... eSATA may not support hot-plugging and unplugging depending on your OS and hardware.

All that means is that you turn the computer off, plug in the eSATA external drive, and turn it back on for the drive to be recognized.

Most computer stores will sell you a case that holds a SATA drive and has both USB and eSATA connectors on the back, and a power supply.

I have a couple of them. Took 5 minutes to install the drive in the case, and I can use it with my server (eSATA) or my laptop (USB) as needed. I put a 2TB drive in it, put Acronis TrueImage on it, and it's an all-in-one backup/recovery device.

Good to know, thanks.

Back