Expressions Web - Images not displaying on Website

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
Using Expressions Web r3, the images show fine while in Expressions but fail to load when viewed from website. I have used different browsers and devices and confirmed it is not the browser. Pages load from /public_html and the images load (well, should) from /images. All I can say is that it used to work before things got reorganized. By that I mean, at some point, the pages were moved from / to /public_html. I found this out while editing the ones in root and not seeing the updates. see: satuit.info There should be a logo on the home page.

I am not familiar with your particular hosting setup (or Expressions), but in general your images will need to be in "/public_html/images/" for them to show up. Anything not in the /public_html subdirectory will not be visible to the outside world by design.

Within your pages you would not link to anything as "/public_html/page.html" nor refer to an image as "/public_html/images/logo.gif". You'd still refer to the image as simply "/images/logo.gif" but it would need to be in the "/public_html/images" directory which is the root of your website. Got it?

Invoking some debugging stuff (developer tools in Chrome, firebug for Firefox) there's some spelling issues. For the USCG header logo the URL is
http://www.cgaux.org/_images/banner.pngBut

And it works. But there's an error with this URL (good old 404 Not Found)

http://a0131208.uscgaux.info/images/SARDOG_1.jpg

The actual code is

/images/SARDOG_1.jpg

and as noted by the previous poster, there could be a problem with directories. It's really easy (and lazy) to use the short hand, but better habit is to use the entire URL in the code. Will it make for problems down the road? Not an issue right now because you're trying to find out where it's breaking. Once you find that and fix it, then the short hand version will work.

And one more - Calendar & Events are the same link: events.htm

Last edited:
... and capitalization MAY be an issue, if this is Linux hosting.

Back