Explorer running sloooooow!

pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
Explorer on my bro in laws computer is running VERY slow. I thought maybe it would be a RAM issue, so I cleaned it up with a start up manager program. Didn't help. It's not an internet issue, because when I download somthing, it downloads it fast. I removed all the toolbars for the explorer. That didn't help. I uninstalled explorer and reinstalled it. I ran spyware, check for viruses and nothing. I only know the basic stuff about computers, so this is far as I could get trying to fix it. Any ideas why it is running slow?

Try the turbo switch on the front of the computer.

Try another browser. If it's still slow you might have to check the network settings.

Danielle, I had a similar problem on my laptop. Once I removed some of the desktop items the speed picked back up. Just a thought.

I now use Firefox and kicked IE to the curb :)

Try the turbo switch on the front of the computer.
If the computer is old enough to have a turbo switch it might be time to buy a new one.

Try another browser. If it's still slow you might have to check the network settings.
If everything runs slow it could be a combination of low memory and a full highly fragmented disk being used for virtual memory.

How much memory, how much free space on disk and what does the disk defragmenter say?

Joe

Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and see how many processes are running, and report, please.

In addition to previous advice, you may want to run a CHKDSK /F. Filesystem corruption can cause slowness.

Also try downloading and running Crap Cleaner (www.ccleaner.com). In addition to cleaning up the endless trail of unneeded garbage that Windoze generates, it also has one of the few automated registry cleaners (the "Issues" function) that I sort of, kinda trust. I still suggest making a backup of the registry when you use it (takes only a few seconds), but I find it's seldom needed.

Also, to piggyback on Areeda's advice, when you do the defrag, see what the pagefile and MFT fragmentation looks like. Both can hurt performance. I generally do an MFT defragmentation (requires special, bootable software) if there are six or more MFT fragments. Anything less than that and I don't see a noticeable improvement, and there is some minor risk involved (especially if the HD is old).

On the topic of pagefiles, an inadequate pagefile can hurt performance. By default it's set as a dynamic file, but I find I get better performance by setting it to a static size of 1.5 times physical RAM, but not less than 1024 MB.

Most computer techs get loads of these kinds of jobs. Windows computers require tune-ups once or twice a year, on average. It may be worth the money to call a local geek and let him or her spend an hour or two with the machine.

Rich

Ok. He won't let me touch his computer anymore. We went to Circuit City and he bought a portable hard drive. He wanted somthing to backup his important flies and do a fresh install. I think he went this route, so he could get a new toy!:rolleyes: Thanks for all the input! :)

No browser is perfect, but I've been happy since
I switched to Firefox. Also use Spybot Search&Destroy to occasionally scan for any nasties that have gotten through.
Aside from turning off all the unnecessary junk Windows likes to have running, I'd recommend trying Firefox or similar.

Back