Explorer gone ????

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I have Win 7 and suddenly when I wish to search a CD-Rom it opens in IE rather than explorer. I've lost search function. The last damn thing I need is a tool bar with Google or other Internet functions when I need to search 700 odd drawings for an Aileron print. Damn Damn Microsoft to the lowest part of hell.

This must have happened after an "update" since I've changed nothing.

Can anyone give me an idea??

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

There's some third party add ons that will "put it back the way it was".

I can't recall the name of them, one's like "NoMetro" or something. I ran Win 8 for a week and then formatted my hard drive.

My wife rescued me. I simply want to use a computer as a tool. I needed to pull up an aileron drawing and didn't want to spend an hour finding out why it didn't act the same as it did a couple of days ago.

Once again Damn Microsoft give me DOS 3 again.

My wife rescued me. I simply want to use a computer as a tool. I needed to pull up an aileron drawing and didn't want to spend an hour finding out why it didn't act the same as it did a couple of days ago.

Once again Damn Microsoft give me DOS 3 again.

Never buy the "even" releases of Windows.

I didn't know 7 was an even number.

So has anyone actually read the OP yet? I'll repost it in case everyone missed this:

I have Win 7 and suddenly when I wish to search a CD-Rom it opens in IE rather than explorer. I've lost search function. The last damn thing I need is a tool bar with Google or other Internet functions when I need to search 700 odd drawings for an Aileron print. Damn Damn Microsoft to the lowest part of hell.

This must have happened after an "update" since I've changed nothing.

Can anyone give me an idea??

Last time I checked, neither Metro nor DOS was a part of Windows 7. The answer is probably a virus, unfortunately.

Last time I checked, neither Metro nor DOS was a part of Windows 7. The answer is probably a virus, unfortunately.

It's a reasonable possibility. But before going gangbusters looking for rootkits, I'd try the search troubleshooter.

In the Search box (or at a Command prompt [Start Ball / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt] if the Search box is missing), type

%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id SearchDiagnostic

And then follow the instructions.

But yeah, the fact that IE is handling the file manager's job is suspicious.

-Rich

So has anyone actually read the OP yet? I'll repost it in case everyone missed this:

I missed the Win 7 part his issue sounded like he had updated to Windows 8.

Back