(expletive) U FAA

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/01/24/rooftop.protest.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Snippet of story:

FOLSOM, Pennsylvania (AP) -- The skies won't seem especially friendly to anyone taking off from Philadelphia International Airport if they notice what a suburban couple wrote on the roof of their home.

"(Expletive) U FAA," the message reads, though one letter of the profane word is substituted with an underline. Below that it is a picture of a plane with a slash through it and the words "no fly zone."

Homeowner Michael Hall and his girlfriend, Michaelene Buddy, are angry that jets have been flying over their house since last month, when the Federal Aviation Administration altered departures heading out of Philadelphia. Hall says he has to sleep with earplugs.

Philly's not too far from here. Time to get checked out in a local plane and go practice turns around a point.

Gee, when I bought this house close to the airport I never dreamed there would be airplanes flying over it. What a dolt.

Gee, when I bought this house close to the airport I never dreamed there would be airplanes flying over it. What a dolt.

Whoa guys before you go off on the guy too much, while this guy lives near the KPHL he probably wasn't in the flight path of the jets. The FAA recently added like 5 new flight paths for departing plane out of PHL to cut back on delays. Some folks ended up with commercial jets flying over them that never had before. And lets face it how many pilots want to say the same to the FAA LOL.

Ya know, how many pilots would LOVE to live near an airport? Why is it that the people who don't like planes end up living closest to where planes operate?

Mr. Hall, I'll be happy to take your house at 1/2 market value, if it's as bad as you suggest I'm sure you'll concede that this is a fair deal. :D

Ya know, how many pilots would LOVE to live near an airport? Why is it that the people who don't like planes end up living closest to where planes operate?

Mr. Hall, I'll be happy to take your house at 1/2 market value, if it's as bad as you suggest I'm sure you'll concede that this is a fair deal. :D
I'll out bid you at 55% of market value! :D:D

I've spent a fair amount of time living near airports and I really like it. The noise doesn't bother me (I kind of like hearing it actually - even when they did fly right over my house during a re-paving project one year), I like watching the planes come in, and when I want to go somewhere it's a short, easy drive.

I've spent a fair amount of time living near airports and I really like it. The noise doesn't bother me (I kind of like hearing it actually - even when they did fly right over my house during a re-paving project one year), I like watching the planes come in, and when I want to go somewhere it's a short, easy drive.
I live two-hundred yards from a train track with one passing at least once every three hours. It's not bad but I'd rather listen to airplanes! :yes:

:)

Yeah but we have to remember that not everyone likes planes the way we do. I LOVE living near my GA field but would rip my freaking hair out if I lived near Michael Bolton's recording studio.

Its a tough question. The guy absolutly lives near the airport but the flight paths never went over his house. Is this something he should have expected ? mmmmm I dunno:dunno:

I see the point you're making Adam, but I'm not buying it. Here's a guy who lives three miles from an airport and complains because airplanes fly over his house. He thinks he should have a no-fly zone over his house? Just more of the "it's all about me" mentality we have in this country these days.

The FAA is trying to do something about congestion, keeping routes safe and high volume at the same time, he no doubt took advantage of a lower market value living closer to the airport, and now he's crying foul? I don't think so Tim. :no:

I think "dolt" is too kind, but this is a family friendly forum. :p

I lived along the Potomac, near the Rosslyn bridge. We had planes go by at about, oh, I guess 2,000 feet, all the time. I loved it.

My roommates, however...

I lived along the Potomac, near the Rosslyn bridge. We had planes go by at about, oh, I guess 2,000 feet, all the time. I loved it.

My roommates, however...

Trust me, it was much, much better when they were big 'ol radial engines on DC-3/6/7's.

My roommates, however...

When I lived in Florence, we'd catch mainly departures. It was quite fun to just lay in the back yard in the hammock and listen to the tower on the scanner.

14udgk2.jpg

Planes get vectored over my house for the 5L ILS at RDU all the time, and I actually do find it annoying sometimes. While planes are great when I'm looking at them, they aren't so much at 3 am.

The FAA adjusts flight paths all the time. If you live ANYWHERE near an airport, you will have planes flying overhead. Too freeking bad that you bought it without realizing there was an airport there.
I spent 11 years on the local planning board. There was an area, all wooded for a long time, zoned for industrial. The neighbors were all in an uproar because we approved the development of the property AS ZONED. They bought the house next to this land and didn't realize how it could be developed. TOO BAD!
A buyer needs to know what is around them, what the potential for vacant land development, what the traffic is doing, the RAIL ROAD RIGHT OF WAY plans are, all kinds of things. Just because it (whatever that might be) isn't operating right this second, does not mean there isn't potential.
Grow up Michael. It's your damned fault you're near an airport. By the way Michael, I'm absolutely sure you've never flown before. If you had, you wouldn't complain about the convenience of having an airport near you.
DIPSTICK!

In Folsom, the planes still aren't that low on descent. This person is easily annoyed, I assume. On departure the planes would already be a few thou in the air at that point. Plus, it's Folsom -- low flying airplanes are the LEAST of one's concern regarding property values there.

In Folsom, the planes still aren't that low on descent. This person is easily annoyed, I assume. On departure the planes would already be a few thou in the air at that point...

The building I work in is about 1/2 mile from that house and I haven't noticed any change in noise levels since they changed the flight paths. Most of the arrivals and departures still seem to be over the river.

The house is only about 200 feet from I-95. I'd think that would be a bigger concern if he's worried about noise.

Last edited:
In Folsom, the planes still aren't that low on descent. This person is easily annoyed, I assume. On departure the planes would already be a few thou in the air at that point. Plus, it's Folsom -- low flying airplanes are the LEAST of one's concern regarding property values there.

I live in Ridley Township. This guy is a whiner. I can hear a few planes once in a while, but they are 4000-6000 feet overhead when taking off. Stealthily silent when descending. They only use the new flight paths during congested hours. They are usually done doing so by 8:30 or nine PM.

That being said, I am close to Folsom. The only thing adversely affecting the property values would be this idiot messing up his house. Ridley is a nice, safe place to live and the only downside of it is my plane is 40 minutes away :(.

We live in a nicely restored mid-19th century Victorian, with plenty more in the general area. Don't diss my burg...:no:

But, turns around a point in a 777 WOULD be fun to watch!:yes:

Where do you keep it?

I'm in a hangar at KPNE. There is not much close to base out of. The closest is Spitfire across the river (mayby 20 minutes, if no traffic), but our house is pretty much 30-40 minutes from KPNE or Brandywine or Wings or Wilmington.

I fly with my dad often, and he lives in NE Philly, so it seems to make the most sense to keep it there for now. Wings and Brandywine are the most likely future choices because we are unlikely to move to NJ with their property tax situation (not the Delco is THAT much better).

Back