Experienced both ends of pilot proficiency this weekend.

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
Pilot #1. We had a glider on the active paved runway ready to launch. Suddenly, a nordo Super Cub appeared on the downwind. I was piloting our tow plane. I tried to call the Cub to advise that he could land on the grass runway that parallels the paved runway but got no response.

We were all amazed that he continued his approach & flew about 10' over the glider on the active runway & landed. He took forever to get off of the runway so we could continue our glider launch.

I contacted the pilot of the Super Cub after I was back from my tow & nicely told him that he could have landed on the grass strip next to the runway & he startled everyone when he landed over the glider. He said he had just bought the Super Cub & was taking it home. He said he didn't know how to get the radio on (his words) & the he was nervous about landing the Cub & needed the long runway. I shook my head & walked away, hoping he could safely get home.

Pilot #2. He called me out of the blue asking for a flight review. He said he had an old 182 & flew off of his own strip up in the mountains. We scheduled the review for 08:00 hours this morning. I was a bit apprehensive since my experience with private strip owners with their own aircraft hasn't always been a positive experience.

The 182 owner surprised me. In the oral portion of the review he was very up to speed. He knew his airspace, regulations, & aircraft performance very well. He did a great job flying & I even threw a few curves at him. I was very impressed.

It further emphasized to me how there are many different pilots with various levels of proficiency. I'm glad knowing there are still some proficient pilots up in the air.

Back