expecting a Rx; when to check vs FAA approved list?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
expecting a Rx; when to check vs FAA approved "list"?

Let's say you are going to the doc for high cholesterol (just an example, could be hypertension, migraines, anything). This doc is your primary care provider, and not your AME. During your visit, the doc prescribes medication for treatment.

When do you check if the prescription is likely an FAA approved drug? Should you ask your doc (or PA) if this medication is FAA approved (likely he/she won't know) or wait til after the appointment and PRIOR to filling the Rx and check the FAA web site? The problem with waiting til after the appointment is IF the Rx is not approved, then you have to call the doc and ask for other options.

could I use something like this for example:
http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

Last edited:
FAA has guidance on some medications here:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/

I'd say research things as best you can as soon as you can. Then you'll be better informed when you do see a doctor. Point out early on to the doctor that you have a pilot license and would like to be diagnosed only as needed to get proper medical attention. Beware the diagnosis itself - it may be more likely to ground a pilot than the prescription.

Talk to your doctor ,and let him know that you fly. Also research the AOPA site for drugs that are approved before you see your doc. Do not take the exam lightly. Be sure you know what your doc writes on the form after the exam.

Talk to your doctor ,and let him know that you fly. Also research the AOPA site for drugs that are approved before you see your doc. Do not take the exam lightly. Be sure you know what your doc writes on the form after the exam.
If possible, bring a list of approved medications to the encounter. If I know a patient is a pilot I will check to see if the medication is on the AOPA approved list.

If possible, bring a list of approved medications to the encounter. If I know a patient is a pilot I will check to see if the medication is on the AOPA approved list.

+1 to the highlighted

I provided this on paper and a copy of the AME guide on flash drive to my primary doc and he was very happy to receive this information. He has a few other pilots as patients, but I was the first one to bring him the useful resources.

do this BEFORE the Rx is written. The mere fact that it is prescribed could be a problem. Don't let the doctor write and do not accept a prescription before you know it is FAA compatible.

I have my iPad wit me and check the AOPA web in his office before he writes the script.

I did what someone up there suggested. Printed out the high blood pressure medications (doctor *warned* me if it was high again in 3 weeks I'd get a prescription) She came in checked my bp and walked out and said "I called in a prescription for you" I handed her the packet of pages I printed and said "Is it one of these?" She thumbed through it and said "Yes it's here on page 2" I said "Super thanks" and got up to leave. She questioned why it mattered and I told her "I wanted to fly still" She just nodded. I got home and emailed Dr Bruce to be sure it was okay because I wanted email confirmation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back