Exercise routine

U

Unregistered

I do a pretty aggressive form of martial arts known as Krav Maga and it has led to two injuries in the past three years that required visiting a doctor; a wrist injury and a shoulder injury. I had to wear a wrist brace for a couple weeks in one case and had to do physical therapy in the other. Obviously this will be in my AME form, but I'm wondering if I need to quit before my exam. In other words, will a doc see my participation in this sport as somethinng that should keep my from flying?

I have never heard of this, but I honestly don't know very much about this whole process, I just know I want to fly and I will quit Krav Maga if I have to so I can tell the AME that I am no longer doing the sport that caused the injury.

What would an AME object to? If you hurt yourself practicing martial arts, its obvious fairly quickly- not something that would suddenly incapacitate you behind the controls.

You have to report the doctor visits for those injuries, but as long as you ground yourself when injured and don't start flying again until you're healed, nobody's going to blink over a sports-related injury. Just make sure nothing happens that results in a permanent reduction in strength or range-of-motion of a critical limb or you might find yourself having to get a Special Medical Flight Test to demonstrate that you can still fly safely despite that permanently reduced physical ability.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back