Excel Logbook

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I'm just about done entering 4 years of flight data in a Excel workbook that I made. I'm new to Excel and this project taught me much about formulas and basic functions. I'm looking for ideas or other suggestions/comments about using Excel as a logbook. I will maintain my Sporty's paper logbook for signatures from instructors and as a backup. So far I found small errors in my math and my Excel logbook is so much more efficient. So far its been a worth while project.

Have you tried putting it into a pivot-table? You can pull info you want and automatically total time in type, etc. etc. I've just been introduced to pivottables this summer. Pretty handy little tool.

Oh yeah.. And Access is the best database ever invented. ;) :D :D

You could try this.

Attachments

• PilotFlightLog.zip
    64.3 KB · Views: 48
I'm just about done entering 4 years of flight data in a Excel workbook that I made. I'm new to Excel and this project taught me much about formulas and basic functions. I'm looking for ideas or other suggestions/comments about using Excel as a logbook. I will maintain my Sporty's paper logbook for signatures from instructors and as a backup. So far I found small errors in my math and my Excel logbook is so much more efficient. So far its been a worth while project.
Good for you. What a major enterprise that is. (Assuming you are getting more than a few hours per year.) Congratulations on learning some new skills and finding a really practical use for them.

You could try this.
Really a good-looking application. Simple, easy to understand, clean. After just a couple of minutes of testing, I failed to crash it. (You'd be surprised how many -even simple- applications can be crashed in two minutes.)

The guy that put it together, not me, gives it away. I don't have the url for it but a little searching will turn it up. I've been using it for a little bit now.

After about 4 hours of entering data...I'm done and need a break. I attached a blank copy. I looked in to pivot tables and was in over my head in about 2 mins. The SUMIF function gave me a good headache...Remember I'm not an Alabama wizkid!!! It will be a work in progress as things develop and progress. I also feels good to now that I have accurate data on my flight experience. Thanks for the comments!

Attachments

• LOGBOOK No Data.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
After about 4 hours of entering data...I'm done and need a break. I attached a blank copy. I looked in to pivot tables and was in over my head in about 2 mins. The SUMIF function gave me a good headache...Remember I'm not an Alabama wizkid!!! It will be a work in progress as things develop and progress. I also feels good to now that I have accurate data on my flight experience. Thanks for the comments!
Cannot open the Excel file. Microsoft has once again made a software version that produces files that are not backwardly compatible. So, your file can only be read by someone with Office 2007 or an upgrade to their current version of Office. If you want us backward people to be able to see your file, Save As *.xls

Cannot open the Excel file. Microsoft has once again made a software version that produces files that are not backwardly compatible. So, your file can only be read by someone with Office 2007 or an upgrade to their current version of Office. If you want us backward people to be able to see your file, Save As *.xls

Office should have asked if you wanted to download the file converter and then converted it for you.

Office should have asked if you wanted to download the file converter and then converted it for you.

Office 2007 is already 3 years old. What was the version before that? 2003? 6-7 year old software...here's the converter:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

The new files are WAY smaller than the old files.

Thanks for posting the converter link. The logbook isn't anything to brag about so if it don't work its not a big loss.

Having your flight hours in excel format is awesome. It provides a backup to the paperlogs, allows you to quickly view odd groupings of data (pivottables and the like), and also introduces some sanity checking (ie do my day + night times add up to my total time).

Last, once you have your flight data in excel style, you can modify it a bit and upload to http://www.flightlogg.in. Flightlogg.in has a google maps tie-in which makes neat maps of where you have flown.

Open Office (openoffice.org) opens this no problembo. Costs less too.

Last edited:
Back