exact duplicate of a cd [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
How do I make an exact duplicate of a cd (non-video, non-audio)?
If I install some cds, several options pop up but this one just tries to play.
I only have one cd port.
I think I need to make an exact copy to the hd first, then copy to the blank disk.
In the past when Ive done this, the disk would not run properly.
Thanks.
Im just making a backup of some software in case the original gets lost or damaged.

Let'sgoflying! said:
How do I make an exact duplicate of a cd (non-video, non-audio)?
If I install some cds, several options pop up but this one just tries to play.
I only have one cd port.
I think I need to make an exact copy to the hd first, then copy to the blank disk.
In the past when Ive done this, the disk would not run properly.
Thanks.
Im just making a backup of some software in case the original gets lost or damaged.
You have to copy the CD to a image file and then burn that to a blank CD. That means you have to have up to 700MB of hard space free to hold the image.

Your burning software should have an option to do that for you. It's not easy to find in Nero or Roxio. It's easy on Mac. :D

Burning software..hmmm I thought it was automatic or part of Windoze...
wait I have the free Nero I'll check it out.

So, dragging and dropping all the files which are on a CD, into a folder on the desktop, then dragging those onto a blank CD is incorrect?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Burning software..hmmm I thought it was automatic or part of Windoze...
wait I have the free Nero I'll check it out.

So, dragging and dropping all the files which are on a CD, into a folder on the desktop, then dragging those onto a blank CD is incorrect?
Yep. You have to make an image of the CD. That only makes a data CD which won't play in a CD or DVD player, only on a computer.

There are a bunch of differnet CD formats for Audio CD, Data CD, Video CD and combinations. The only way to get an exact copy of an Audio CD is to duplicate its image.

A good portion of the time you will be unable to even do so with Nero because of copy protection. It's pretty common for them to use methods such as SafeDisc which have intentional bad sectors on the CD along with other things that a standard CD burner cannot produce.

Your only choice in these situations is to make an image of the CD using software designed to bypass the software protection (like Alcohol 120%). Although sometimes these programs are detected now and it still won't work. In these situations you must use yet another program to block SafeDisc from being able to see Alcohol.

Thanks all, thanks for 120%Alcohol Jesse, it worked like a charm! (what? an easy computer thing?)
I was just afraid I would lose my only copy of Quickbooks.

Back