Ever Painted a Panel in the Airplane

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
An airplane I am helping with has the engine removed for an overhaul, so it is going to be sitting for a while. We would really like to freshen up the panel with some new paint.

Has anyone ever attempter doing this while without removing the panel?

We were just thinking of masking everything off and having at it. Need to figure out how to prep the surface first which could be the biggest challenge.

Any ideas out there?

do not use spray paint.

I know, obvious comment.

I took the panel off, took it outside and spray painted it. But the other parts I used brush for painting.

Prep by cleaning very well, I used comet cleaner because it has a mild abrasive, lots and lots of rinsing. But you really do want to remove the panel, if it's a plastic overlay in order to clean it very well, check for damage, etc.

Last edited:
We upgrade panels all the time, and it works great. Just like Murph said, don't use cheap spray paint. If you don't send it to us, then go get some good paint and primer. Plastic prep is easy, paint adhesion is not. Plastic primer is key.

One thing most people forget about is the glare, so use a flat or satin, never a gloss. You'll thank me later. :)

Just do it right.

Tske the think off, sand it down or media blast it, prime and paint, sand and paint etc.

I'd rather have a scratched up panel, than one with a half arse re paint.

It is a Deb so the floating panel is easily removed. the rest not so easy. May have a major upgrade in the near future and will have to replace it then, so the repaint is a short term improvement. Just curious how a brush job could look better than spray paint?

It is a Deb so the floating panel is easily removed. the rest not so easy. May have a major upgrade in the near future and will have to replace it then, so the repaint is a short term improvement. Just curious how a brush job could look better than spray paint?

I used the brush on the parts I didn't remove, eg flap handle (but not the hand grip), around the throttle quadrant, the plastic flap handle cover, etc. And plastic on the floor because I'm sloppy, just in case. If it's a textured plastic, spray or brush doesn't matter. Won't show much difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may take some before and after pics if it turns out good

Who is a good resource for thevplacksrds required on a panel?

If you want fancy ones, check aircraft spruce. or you can print you own, have them laminated at an office shop then attach them where you need them.

Are you planning on pulling all of the instruments, avionics, and switches before painting? If not, this sounds like a recipe for disappointment, because it'll be a lot of work with a very good chance of oopses and a so-so finished product.

If there is a major upgrade a year or two away, I wouldn't do this. I don't have enough spare time to invest it in short term solutions.

Are you planning on pulling all of the instruments, avionics, and switches before painting? If not, this sounds like a recipe for disappointment, because it'll be a lot of work with a very good chance of oopses and a so-so finished product.

If there is a major upgrade a year or two away, I wouldn't do this. I don't have enough spare time to invest it in short term solutions.

As much as possible we will pull instruments out of the panel. It can't look much worse than it does now.

Back