Ever flew/dreamed of flying through the Rockies VFR and safely?

Dave Krall CFII said:
The BLM's preferred management plan would prohibit seaplane operations on nearly 200 contiguous miles of the Missouri River!

I'll soon write a sample note to the BLM to post here but in the meantime, this is a very informative site for all pilots:

http://www.seaplanes.org/advocacy/mobreaks.htm

Does AOPA know about this? (I'm sure they do... but if they don't, you should pass it along to them!).

Sigh. More and more restrictions on flying.

wsuffa said:
Sigh. More and more restrictions on flying.

More & more PROPOSED restrictions on flying.
Sigh... then write that letter!

Troy, I'm checking with Michael Volk at SPA about AOPA.

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
Does AOPA know about this? (I'm sure they do... but if they don't, you should pass it along to them!).

Sample letter (forwarding to Seaplane Pilot's Association is important):

Gary Slagel, Monument Manager
Bureau of Land Management, Lewistown Field Office
P.O. Box 1160
Lewistown, MT 59457-1160
monumentrmp@blm.gov

cc: Seaplane Pilot's Association, "Michael Volk" <MichaelV@seaplanes.org>

RE: LETTER of OPPOSITION to the BLM's proposed closing of huge stretches of the Missouri River to seaplanes but not other motorized users.

Dear Mr. Slagel:

We are planning to fly through that region of the Missouri Breaks again this summer and are greatly concerned by your proposed plan which would compromise both our flight safety and recreational enjoyment of the Breaks. It seems you are specifically discriminating against the traditionally low impact and highly responsible user group of pilots, while allowing motor boaters and other uses very wide access. Why?

I have more questions of you which I will send you in the near future but wanted to get this short letter off to you right away.

Please keep me informed of the status of this important BLM proposal via either this email address or US mail @

POB 31329
Seattle WA 98103

Thank You for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Dave Krall CFII, pres. Orion Air Ground Videos LLC

Oh sheesh. I feel another nastygram to assorted congressroaches and their insects coming on real soon...like, um, NOW.

I'm torn by this, as a pilot I certainly don't like seeing restrictions without well reasoned alternatives, however as someone who has floated that river I certainly enjoyed the Wild and Scenic portions with no motorized interruptions.

I think that if they exclude motorboats from portions, they should exclude seaplanes from the same portions. OTOH there is no logical reason (other than safety which in this case I don't think applies) to allow motorboats in some portions but not seaplanes.

alaskaflyer said:
I'm torn by this, as a pilot I certainly don't like seeing restrictions without well reasoned alternatives, however as someone who has floated that river I certainly enjoyed the Wild and Scenic portions with no motorized interruptions.

I think that if they exclude motorboats from portions, they should exclude seaplanes from the same portions. OTOH there is no logical reason (other than safety which in this case I don't think applies) to allow motorboats in some portions but not seaplanes.

Sure, I can go for ALL non-motorized restricted, (although I'm not too keen on it for a 200 mile stretch of river!) but not just pilots' restrictions.

Remember, this proposal is brought to us by the BLM, the ones that CLOSED and have KEPT CLOSED the beautiful, easy to access for land planes, Ming Bar airstrip trailhead on the same stretch of Missouri River, not far from this area, while ALLOWING motorized boats!

alaskaflyer said:
OTOH there is no logical reason (other than safety which in this case I don't think applies) to allow motorboats in some portions but not seaplanes.
That logic doesn't fly in Colorado, where I don't believe one can legally land a seaplane on any public waters, regardless of what type of boating is allowed. Would love to learn I'm wrong, but I don't think so...

gkainz said:
That logic doesn't fly in Colorado, where I don't believe one can legally land a seaplane on any public waters, regardless of what type of boating is allowed. Would love to learn I'm wrong, but I don't think so...
I'm pretty certain you're right, unfortunately.

Everskyward said:
I'm pretty certain you're right, unfortunately.

With all the anti-discrimination cases being won for this, that and the other, why couldn't us minority pilots file and win some, set some precedents and then reclaim our ancient landing grounds and waters?

Dave Krall CFII said:
With all the anti-discrimination cases being won for this, that and the other, why couldn't us minority pilots file and win some, set some precedents and then reclaim our ancient landing grounds and waters?
While I can probably fit into one of those minority categories there's no way I can claim Colorado (or Montana) as an ancient homeland. Sorry. :dunno:

Here's a suggestion forwarded to me from the guys at the RAF who know the most about how to approach this, which may very well be our last chance:

The main concern is that people respond
by the 26th of
this month and that they request Preferred Alternative F
plus Middleton
Ridge (known as "Woodhawk" to the BLM)

We do not want to push for no change (Alternative A) This
is self defeating
and will only cause problems with the positive relationship
we have
established with the BLM.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Here's a suggestion forwarded to me from the guys at the RAF who know the most about how to approach this, which may very well be our last chance:

The main concern is that people respond
by the 26th of
this month and that they request Preferred Alternative F
plus Middleton
Ridge (known as "Woodhawk" to the BLM)

We do not want to push for no change (Alternative A) This
is self defeating
and will only cause problems with the positive relationship
we have
established with the BLM.

Today's the last day everyone.

The RAF recommends we ask for "Preferred Alternative F" plus Middleton Ridge, known as Woodhawk to the BLM.

Thanks Again to those of you who are or have written, it will probably do some good for us pilots in this case.

Back