EvDO

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Has anyone gave EvDO a shot in the air? I'm trying to come up with some type of poor mans in flight nexrad...

Has anyone gave EvDO a shot in the air? I'm trying to come up with some type of poor mans in flight nexrad...

If you're very low level I guess it would work if you're in a coverage region. I just got the Sprint system, and I'm impressed by the speed, I can't really tell the difference between it and 802.11g on a T1 on this computer and I've got it plugged into a USB 1 port. Driving down the road in metro So. Fla, it seems to work well, but then the antennas aren't optimized for altitude.

It will work at lower levels. But how do you get around the no cell phone rule?

EvDO is digital, not analog, and the no cell phone rule, technically, doesn't apply to anything other than the old analog cell phones, as the problem it addresses (a single phone tying up multiple towers) doesn't happen with the digital system.

That said, I've never gotten any signal for phone or wireless card above about 2000 feet here in the east. Antennas on towers have a directional radiation pattern and ignore anything that is above the horizon.

That said, I've never gotten any signal for phone or wireless card above about 2000 feet here in the east. Antennas on towers have a directional radiation pattern and ignore anything that is above the horizon.

I once got a signal and talked on my cell phone for about 20-30 seconds in a King Air at 17,000 over Everglades City (which is like all swamp-land).

Back