EU-certified instructor / AME ?

pilarew

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PW
I am a private pilot with a European license, now living in the San Francisco Bay Area. As a holder of that license I have to do the equivalent of a BFR every 2 years and of course get a medical.

The airmen certification authorities in Germany have told me that both my checkride and my medical need to be done by an EU-authorized flight instructor and an EU-authorized AME respectively. Documentation from am FAA-certified officials are not accepted.

Does anyone on this forum know if there is a list of EU-certified AMEs based in the US (preferably in Northern California) and also if there is a list of EU-certified CFIs? Or would anyone know where I could try to find one of each of these? I am sure that I am not the only European pilot who has this issue... what do you others do?

Thanks very much!

This fellow in Phoenix seems to be authorized as an AME by EASA. (His site says JAA, but it hasn't been updated in five years.)

As for the BFR, I'd search around for flight schools that offer training to EASA standards. There are many of them around. If they're targeting students who are training for EU licenses, presumably they'd have a few EU-authorized CFIs hanging around.

Rich

I may not be totally familiar with your EU pilot certificate. How are you flying US N registered aircraft? Do you have a US FAA certificate based on your EU certificate?

Yes the FAA certificate would require you to keep your EU medical current. I did not realize you also need to keep the flight review current. A US flight review would also be required? Of course if you could find an EU instructor here, he could sign off both in one flight?

Each EASA country has its own list of AMEs, but most of the EASA AMEs outside of Europe seem to be UK AMEs. Here's the list of UK AMEs outside of the UK. Dr. Bryman's the closest one to California.

As for EASA CFIs, I'm sure they are around, but I'm not aware of a central list of them. If you are willing to go to San Diego, you can find not only CFIs but also an examiner (which I think you need to renew instrument or multi ratings) at American Aviation Academy.

I have EASA licenses as well. Yes, the Phoenix AME guy is the closest I know of to California. There's American Aviation Academy in San Diego for all your EASA currency stuff, so that's no problem.

I may not be totally familiar with your EU pilot certificate. How are you flying US N registered aircraft? Do you have a US FAA certificate based on your EU certificate?

You can get FAR 61.75 FAA issued license based on any ICAO license. But the validity is tied to doing US BFR and is bound by the limitations of the issuing countries license. A good example of that is the EASA PPL, where night flying is a separate rating called a Night Rating. It's not part of the PPL as in FAA land. In that case, even if you have an issued FAA 61.75 PPL, you may not fly night unless you have the Night Rating in your home country, etc.

Thanks very much to all who answered! All very very helpful information!

I am flying in the US with an FAA license based on my European license. As stratobee wrote, I have to fulfill both EASA and FAA requirements in order to fly here in the US.

It is a great pain to have to jump through hoops like this just to maintain currency. I will likely have to travel to the AME in Phoenix, and probably to the CFI in San Diego when it's time for me to renew. (That is easier than going back to Europe to do all of this, I suppose...)

I'm sure I am not the only person in this predicament? Anyone know if there will be some international cooperation on this soon? That EASA requirements might be accepted in the US and FAA exams in Europe?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back