ESN: Sugar Buns is pretty darn good!

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
The bride and I just had to bust off the reservation, so we headed over to ESN to try the diner. Nice little homey place, probably seats 25 on a good day, some large booths, clean and faces the runway. A patio too. Open M-F 11-3 for lunch.

Didn't wait for the menu, the owner got us right up front with Lobster bisque, lobster rolls and a split order of onion rings. Bisque was very silky with a couple nice chunks of claw and tail, with a hint of sherry. The lobster rolls were generous, on a toasted hot dog bun with lettuce. The onion rings, nice and crisp, lightly battered if slightly greasy. Could have stood to have the oil a tad hotter.

Sampled the sugar bun, and almost succumbed to the five chocolate fudge brownie, but a sugar coma would have ensued. Next time.

Damages were high, about $40 each including tip, but it was fun and the food was good. Little pilot shop to check out. A good spur of the moment lunch flight.
Tower was busy with training flights. Kept an eye out for Ron's Grumman. Maybe next time.

Kay's at Cambridge (CGE) 15 miles south is better (although no pilot shop), but you'll see my Tiger (or me in someone else's plane) at each from time to time. Just remember Kay's is closed on Wednesdays. Also, Kay's is open for dinner (except Sundays) while Sugar Buns closes at 3pm (limited menu after 2:30 when they usually shut down the grill).

Last edited:
It's a nice day renting a car at ESN and heading into st michaels for a few hours. I'll second Ron's selection of Kay's at Cambridge, good food.

Back