Erroneous NTSB accident report

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
When I query my tail no. I find a accident report, but not for my airplane. Wrong airplane (diff make/model), I double check logs, no entries for any kind of repair. The accident occurred back in 91, no serious injuries, I'm assuming there is no way to correct it.
But it got me to thinking, I wonder how accurate the NTSB database is?

My father was in an incident in the late 80s
The NTSB database has the plane as a Deb and he was in a Cherokee
It has a few other facts incorrect. But it is the same incident.

Planes had other N number at one time?

Very likely. Registrations are not forever anymore. There is a good chance your tail number was being worn by a plane that balled it up in the past.

My former airplane was supposedly in a partial gear up landing, but no record or evidence of repair could be found.

Planes had other N number at one time?
Very likely. Registrations are not forever anymore. There is a good chance your tail number was being worn by a plane that balled it up in the past.
Not mine, has had same number since new and long before accident date.
Since this isn't type of accident they investigate, I believe all info comes from a form the owner submits.

Last edited:
My father was in an incident in the late 80s
The NTSB database has the plane as a Deb and he was in a Cherokee
It has a few other facts incorrect. But it is the same incident.
But logs show no repairs, but a oil change 6 days after the accident, 800 miles away. So the date would have to be wrong, and location, in addition to the plane.

the N number database is recycled. there is a waiting period to get a number someone gives up. I have a tail number from a wrecked sailplane.

Had a bearing go on my nose wheel when landing. No big thing. Airport manager reported it as a gear collapse,without talking to anyone involved. Years later when I was selling my twin ,with no damage history ,was questioned on the gear up landing. You never know what the govt accepts for reports.

If you look up accidents for my Tiger's N22RL, you'll find it was on a Beech TravelAir destroyed back in the 1970's. Just something to look out for when researching a plane -- an N-number search may locate previous planes that had the same number, but miss one if the plane under consideration had an accident with a previous N-number (e.g., for my plane, you'd have to search both N22RL and the original N26977).

My previous plane had a recycled N number too, belonging to a plane that was destroyed in 1970 with one fatality. It happens. Just try not to be superstitious about it.

When I query my tail no. I find a accident report, but not for my airplane. Wrong airplane (diff make/model), I double check logs, no entries for any kind of repair. The accident occurred back in 91, no serious injuries, I'm assuming there is no way to correct it.
But it got me to thinking, I wonder how accurate the NTSB database is?

Planes change tail numbers. When one is de registered due to a crash, export, or change to a vanity number, the old number goes back into those available. Did you check to see if the owner of that plane was also the former owner of yours? Some people take their tail number with them.

Not mine, has had same number since new and long before accident date.
Since this isn't type of accident they investigate, I believe all info comes from a form the owner submits.

This leads me to believe it was a typo/error on someone's report.

Back