Ernesto's path

I'm scheduled to fly to Greenville, SC Thrusday morning to see my Granddaughter and family for Labor Day; that's looking real iffy now!

Best,

Dave

smigaldi said:
Elizabeth the latest discussion has a possibility that Ernesto could regain huricane strength once it moves out into the Atlantic. They ahve issued a huricane watch for your GA. area. But it still look like the center of the storm will be well out to sea. That is good for you for lower winds. But there could still be a good amount of rain.

Any further east will be very favorable. The backside (or left side) of the hurricane tends to have somewhat lower winds and rain than the east side. Still, it can get pretty hairy on a barrier island.

My brothers and I used to rent a beach house near Nags Head every year for the week before Labor day. The storm a couple of years ago took out a lot of places we used to frequent down near Hatteras. After 3 hurricanes in a row, we stopped.... Looks like we would have been nailed this year.

right now, it looks like 2 PM Thursday will have it about 2 hrs north of Hilton Head, 2.5 hours north of Savannah. I am set to take off around 5 PM or so. realistically, what does this mean for Savannah by the time I take off - and my parents, connecting in Detroit and arriving in SAV at 11 PM that night?

Beth,

Ultimately, it will be up to the airline and the airport authority.

If the airport sustains damage, then the airlines might well not be able to get in - even if they wanted to. Most airlines will cancel enough flights to keep their planes well clear. And there may be issues with rental cars if they clear 'em out of town.

You'll know more tomorrow....

Looks like you're good Beth.

I'm still watching to see if I should leave tomorrow A.M. and arrive late afternoon, or to sit back a day and fly out Friday. I'll continue to watch and decide in the morning. Looks like just some rain and low ceilings right now unless you're right in it.

Best,

Dave

I agree, it's looking like the storm will be a "miss" for Hilton Head.

You still may have airline issues depending on what they've cancelled, but it looks pretty good weather-wise.

whew! here's hoping we all make it down there - my parents are on NWA - as far as I know, no strike yet...

Darrell111 said:
Gosh what i wouldnt do to be a pilot for NOAA!! Fly into hurricanes :)

I know a meteorologist who gets to fly on the recon aircraft. She says it gets really bumpy up there. And for about 10 mins or so they have to strap everything down.

Back