ENUNCIATE! SeCts, not Sex.

At least, the headline -- and the factor you quote -- will blow over after a short time.
On another enunciated front I was so eager for this year to get warmer. Even after March arrived there seemed to be no end to radio/television personalities who continued to reference events which occurred during Feb-you-ary. Grrrrrrr! Don't they realize that there is more than one "r" in the spelling/pronunciation/enunciation? End of rant

:eek:)

reminds me of when my m.i.l. announced to everyone that someone we know "likes hot socks" (she has a strange accent but we love her)
we were all open-mouthed for a moment til we realized what she meant! :hairraise:
she meant; 'fresh out of the dryer' but it suuure sounded like something else.

I'm thinking the reporter chose that exact word for the headline as when it's read and repeated, it draws more attention. More sensationalism. Not that the story deserves attention but I'm sure it was done for the wrong reasons.

we have been following that deal in Eldorado, I have a colleague in that town, and we are proud of a local boy was in on the fortuitous highway stop of the principal, Jeffs.

You should have asked her if she wanted to go a Tapas (not topless) bar ;) :D
I've always wanted to start a Topless Tapas bar! It's fun at work saying that your going to the Tapas bar, asking if anyone wants to come along! (Café Ba Ba Reeba in Chicago)

What is a Tapas bar?

My thought is that a Tapas bar is an appetizer bar. Not 100% sure however.:dunno:

Tapas are a Spanish (NOT MEXICAN) specialty. They are starting to become popular here in the US but I have been going to the bars in Spain since the 1980s.

The US version differs form the Spanish slightly. In the US you sit down and order some Sangria or other 'real' wines like a Rojas and then order several small plates of hot an cold appetizer like dishes (tapas). You pig out until you are full or run out of money or fall off of your chair from the wine ;)

The Spanish experience is a little different. You are actually in a bar, the tapas may be displayed in glass like an ice cream case. You stand and eat them while drinking and talking. It is a little more social as well.

FYI I see two in Albuquerque you could try (Geckos on Central and on Academy) go with friends, it is always better to go to Tapas with friends.

Here's a link to Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba, which has locations in Chicago and Las Vegas. It should give you an idea!

We also have a chain in Houston called Mi Luna - great food, both hot and cold tapas! Scott is right, it is much better to go with friends. However, I wouldn't plan on it as a meal - my friends and I would go and drop about $40-$50 per person (including a bottle or two of wine) and still be hungry afterwards. It's good to go for a quick appetizer, then go to another restaurant for dinner.

http://www.mi-luna.com/

I read my wife the headline from this story, and her eyes popped out of her head, and her jaw hit the floor... then we both realized that she thought I said "sex" when I said "sects":

Sorta like some folks who pronounce Athol, Massachusetts....

(ESPN recently got into trouble for including that in a promo for one of their programs....)

Tapas are a Spanish (NOT MEXICAN) specialty. They are starting to become popular here in the US but I have been going to the bars in Spain since the 1980s.

The US version differs form the Spanish slightly. In the US you sit down and order some Sangria or other 'real' wines like a Rojas and then order several small plates of hot an cold appetizer like dishes (tapas). You pig out until you are full or run out of money or fall off of your chair from the wine ;)

The Spanish experience is a little different. You are actually in a bar, the tapas may be displayed in glass like an ice cream case. You stand and eat them while drinking and talking. It is a little more social as well.

FYI I see two in Albuquerque you could try (Geckos on Central and on Academy) go with friends, it is always better to go to Tapas with friends.

WTF?? I go to Geckos all the time (the one on Academy) because they have a smoking patio that you can drink on....

How did I not notice its a Tapas bar? I'm gonna have to check that out this Friday. LOL!

And btw - there's something neat about knowing that "your" pub is special for something. Heh.

We have a successful Chinese Restaraunt owner in the area that decided to open a Japanese Steakhouse and a Tapas bar in one building.

The town was all in an uproar for several weeks thinking it was gonna be a topless bar. Apparently Mr. Woo's english is not very good, and nobody bothered to read his application.

I always thought Tapas was a Japanese tradition. I'll have to try it out sometime.

We have a successful Chinese Restaraunt owner in the area that decided to open a Japanese Steakhouse and a Tapas bar in one building.

The town was all in an uproar for several weeks thinking it was gonna be a topless bar. Apparently Mr. Woo's english is not very good, and nobody bothered to read his application.

I always thought Tapas was a Japanese tradition. I'll have to try it out sometime.
Japanese, steakhouse, and tapas bar. I would not walk into that place. Sounds like three cuisines that would be mediocre at best. Sounds a lot like the Italian/Chinese restaurant that used to be near here. They could not make anything right.

Japanese, steakhouse, and tapas bar. I would not walk into that place. Sounds like three cuisines that would be mediocre at best. Sounds a lot like the Italian/Chinese restaurant that used to be near here. They could not make anything right.
Or the Indian/Chinese around here. There are few places that can take disparate cuisines like that and do them all justice. That said, there's a 24-hour Greek café at Timmerman in Milwaukee (KMWC) that handles a bunch of cuisines in a yeoman fashion, but it isn't trying to be haute cuisine; just good, honest food.

Or the Indian/Chinese around here. There are few places that can take disparate cuisines like that and do them all justice. That said, there's a 24-hour Greek café at Timmerman in Milwaukee (KMWC) that handles a bunch of cuisines in a yeoman fashion, but it isn't trying to be haute cuisine; just good, honest food.

Hat Dance, another Rich Melman place like Cafe Babab Reba was Mexican/Asian. The claim was that Mexican hertitage is Asian, by way of the Bering Strait migration of native americans, ....or something.

Wasn't bad. As I recall they had things like asian entrees in tortillas and vice-versa in won-ton wrappers. It wasn't as bad as that.

It closed after 5-6 years.

Hat Dance, another Rich Melman place like Cafe Babab Reba was Mexican/Asian. The claim was that Mexican hertitage is Asian, by way of the Bering Strait migration of native americans, ....or something.

Wasn't bad. As I recall they had things like asian entrees in tortillas and vice-versa in won-ton wrappers. It wasn't as bad as that.

It closed after 5-6 years.
Hat dance was pretty cool. About the only real cross between the cuisines were at the cerviche bar. They also had the best shrimp cocktail I can ever remember!!! I do miss that place.

No, you gotta mix them up. On Broadway near the Beacon Theater (NYC), there's a Cuban/Chinese joint. You can taste a little Cuban in the Chinese and vice versa. Real good food. The only weird part is that the waiters look Asian but speak mostly Spanish. It really takes some getting used to.

Scott, you're becoming the POA gourmet consultant -- tapas, arugula. What next? :D

I've done tapas a few times. It always leaves me hungry. I guess if you're eating at 10:30pm it makes sense, but for those of us on a more typically American schedule, it doesn't work all that well.

Scott, you're becoming the POA gourmet consultant -- tapas, arugula. What next? :D

I've done tapas a few times. It always leaves me hungry. I guess if you're eating at 10:30pm it makes sense, but for those of us on a more typically American schedule, it doesn't work all that well.

Don't forget deer penis, or whatever appendage he ate in the Orient. :vomit:

Back