Enterprise of N. IL-crosspost

There's a part of me that wants to point out that these things we buy nowadays aren't phones first and pocket computers second, but the other way around.

And the software industry is the only industry you'll find where people will buy stuff that's not complete, and re-purchase it ten times until the vendor gets it right, only to have the vendor redesign it and start over at the broken stage.

If you want a *phone* buy a phone. If you want gadgetry that happens to also sometimes do phone stuff, get a so-called "smartphone".

Example, and I'll pick on iPhone here because it's the platform I know so I know its warts...

Why does it play the sounds for incoming text messages in your ear while you're IN A PHONE CALL?? Because its a computer first, and a PHONE a distant second. Or third.

That's apparently what people want... Constant software updates to fix bugs and a phone that barely works as a phone. Probably because we all like the other neat stuff it does more than we just want to send it back and vote with our dollar saying we want a reliable phone as top priority, and the gadgets can suffer.

Why does it play the sounds for incoming text messages in your ear while you're IN A PHONE CALL?? Because its a computer first, and a PHONE a distant second. Or third.

That doesn't even sound like a bug to me - After all, call waiting is the same thing, just with another voice call instead of a text. I like to get an alert whenever I get a text, just in case it's important. And it's a fine phone - WAY easier to manage call waiting/conference calls/etc than any other phone I've ever had.

Yeah, I'm back to using a company issued iPhone and I get text messages from equipment alarms around the field. Sometimes I'll be on the phone about one alarm, get another text in that I can look at real quick that often gives more information pertinent to the discussion.

Back