Enroute Climb in C182S Redux

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
From the PIM:

"Normal climbs are performed at 85-95 KIAS with flaps up, 23 In. Hg. or full throttle (whichever is less) and 2400 RPM for the best combination of performance, visibility and engine cooling. The mixture should be set to 15 GPH or full rich (whichever is less) untl reaching the altitude at which full throttle is reachied, after which not further adjustment of the mixture control is needed."

So, I take this to mean that once I wish to transition to an enroute climb (which I do at 1,000' AGL), I go to the top of the green on the black and blue knobs (23/24) and lean to 15 GPH. Of course, I know I can keep pushing the thorttle in to maintain 23".

What I have been doing is basically the above, except for the leaning. I have been leaning a little bit every thousand feet once above 3,000' AGL. Why do you think they recommend the 15 GPH set-it-and-forget-it method?

wangmyers said:
From the PIM:

"Normal climbs are performed at 85-95 KIAS with flaps up, 23 In. Hg. or full throttle (whichever is less) and 2400 RPM for the best combination of performance, visibility and engine cooling. The mixture should be set to 15 GPH or full rich (whichever is less) untl reaching the altitude at which full throttle is reachied, after which not further adjustment of the mixture control is needed."

So, I take this to mean that once I wish to transition to an enroute climb (which I do at 1,000' AGL), I go to the top of the green on the black and blue knobs (23/24) and lean to 15 GPH. Of course, I know I can keep pushing the thorttle in to maintain 23".

What I have been doing is basically the above, except for the leaning. I have been leaning a little bit every thousand feet once above 3,000' AGL. Why do you think they recommend the 15 GPH set-it-and-forget-it method?

I'm not so sure that leaning to 15gph on climbout (especially at 1000 agl) is a good idea. I've always read full rich/full power until at least 4000 if the fuel flow is set up correctly. What is the fuel flow redline on your plane? Does the plane redline the fuel flow? Do you have any CHT numbers on climbout?

Does the plane have an altitude compensating carb?

Sorry for all the questions.

Iceman said:
I'm not so sure that leaning to 15gph on climbout (especially at 1000 agl) is a good idea. I've always read full rich/full power until at least 4000 if the fuel flow is set up correctly. What is the fuel flow redline on your plane? Does the plane redline the fuel flow? Do you have any CHT numbers on climbout?

Does the plane have an altitude compensating carb?

Sorry for all the questions.
This is a rental. I believe the fuel flow is redlined. As I remember, it is at 15 GPH. There is a CHT and EGT both. I've flown it the PIM's way (also the facility's SOP) before and everything was fine, but I sure would prefer to leave the red knob alone until 3000' DA.

No carb on the C182S.

Ben;

Since it is a rental, follow the PIM or the POH and the SOP of the facility. Sounds like the 182 you fly is fuel injected with the IO 540 derated. On a rental fly the POH or the SOP.

Later on when you get your own plane get together with it's society and learn as much about it as you can. I belong to the ABS (American Bonanza Society) and like many of these groups provide such great helpful information to owners. My last plane is a Beech C33 Debonair and I have gone to ABS for many learning clinics. They taught me much about engine management for my type of plane. Also I have to thank my father who worked at P&W and Ranger during the 1930 and 40s who really taught me what a mixture control was for.

enjoy the learning

John

Thanks!

John J said:
Ben;

Since it is a rental, follow the PIM or the POH and the SOP of the facility. Sounds like the 182 you fly is fuel injected with the IO 540 derated. On a rental fly the POH or the SOP.

Later on when you get your own plane get together with it's society and learn as much about it as you can. I belong to the ABS (American Bonanza Society) and like many of these groups provide such great helpful information to owners. My last plane is a Beech C33 Debonair and I have gone to ABS for many learning clinics. They taught me much about engine management for my type of plane. Also I have to thank my father who worked at P&W and Ranger during the 1930 and 40s who really taught me what a mixture control was for.

enjoy the learning

John

wangmyers said:
I sure would prefer to leave the red knob alone until 3000' DA.
Why? Engine management can still exist between the ground and 3000'. If you don't want to mess with mixture early in the climb to concentrate on other priorities like traffic or ATC instructions, that's ok. However, if it's just because someone without facts to back up the statement said, "oh my gosh :eek:. You should NEVER lean below 3,000' (or 5,000"; or to wherevever). Terrible things will surely happen," then I have a different opinion.

Lance F said:
Why? Engine management can still exist between the ground and 3000'. If you don't want to mess with mixture early in the climb to concentrate on other priorities like traffic or ATC instructions, that's ok. However, if it's just because someone without facts to back up the statement said, "oh my gosh :eek:. You should NEVER lean below 3,000' (or 5,000"; or to wherevever). Terrible things will surely happen," then I have a different opinion.

I wasn't ever told that. More like it is a quick and easy way to ensure the engine doesn't get too hot, and let's you concentrate on other things. I use 3,000' Density Altitude, btw, which sometimes means very soon after takeoff!

Back