Enhanced Spin Zone Policy Regulations

Pilots Of America Management

MC Announcements and Communication
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Pilots of America Management
The Spin Zone is a forum dedicated for debate on topics which is likely to become somewhat energetic. As such, it is unfortunately human nature that those discussions often drift too close to, or beyond, the boundaries set by the Rules of Conduct, and remarks get personal instead of staying on topic.

In order to stem this issue, because frankly, it generates more work for us than any other forum, and we don't like that kind of work, the following policies are being instituted for The Spin Zone only. The intent behind these policies is simple: The Spin Zone is for mature audiences, and by mature, we mean that you can discuss and debate serious topics without getting personal or emotional or juvenile. If you can't handle it, you will lose the ability to access that area of the forum.

- The Rules of Conduct must be strictly adhered to at all times. Tolerance of violations of the Rules of Conduct will be much lower than previously, particularly with regard to the Personal Attack guidelines.
- Reporting of Bad Posts for satisfaction of personal agendas: ie - because you don't like someone, because you don't agree with the statement, and so forth, will not be tolerated. It is up to the moderator staff to determine if the rules have been violated. The Bad Post button is so posts can be brought to our attention for investigation, not for personal axe-grinding.

- Upon the first violation of the Rules of Conduct, or the first agenda-driven bad post report, your access to The Spin Zone will be suspended for a minimum of 7 days.
- A second violation will result in a minimum 45 day suspension from The Spin Zone.
- Further violations will result in permanent removal from The Spin Zone.

Suspension from the spin zone will have no affect on your standing as a general member of Pilots of America. It will simply be a recognition that you are unable to participate (in writing or reading or both) in potentially highly charged discussion in a mature and civil fashion.

Suspensions may be appealed by taking your case to any Management Council Member, but only one appeal may be filed per suspension, and an appeal sent to one MC member will be relayed to all others, so only one MC member should be contacted, if an appeal is desired.

This policy will go into effect as of the posting of this notice.

Sincerely,

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Dunno what's been going on in there, but I'm glad I've been avoiding the Zone since before OSH. :eek:

Pilots Of America Management said:
The Spin Zone is a forum dedicated for debate on topics which is likely to become somewhat energetic. As such, it is unfortunately human nature that those discussions often drift too close to, or beyond, the boundaries set by the Rules of Conduct, and remarks get personal instead of staying on topic.

In order to stem this issue, because frankly, it generates more work for us than any other forum, and we don't like that kind of work, the following policies are being instituted for The Spin Zone only. The intent behind these policies is simple: The Spin Zone is for mature audiences, and by mature, we mean that you can discuss and debate serious topics without getting personal or emotional or juvenile. If you can't handle it, you will lose the ability to access that area of the forum.

- The Rules of Conduct must be strictly adhered to at all times. Tolerance of violations of the Rules of Conduct will be much lower than previously, particularly with regard to the Personal Attack guidelines.
- Reporting of Bad Posts for satisfaction of personal agendas: ie - because you don't like someone, because you don't agree with the statement, and so forth, will not be tolerated. It is up to the moderator staff to determine if the rules have been violated. The Bad Post button is so posts can be brought to our attention for investigation, not for personal axe-grinding.

- Upon the first violation of the Rules of Conduct, or the first agenda-driven bad post report, your access to The Spin Zone will be suspended for a minimum of 7 days.
- A second violation will result in a minimum 45 day suspension from The Spin Zone.
- Further violations will result in permanent removal from The Spin Zone.

Suspension from the spin zone will have no affect on your standing as a general member of Pilots of America. It will simply be a recognition that you are unable to participate (in writing or reading or both) in potentially highly charged discussion in a mature and civil fashion.

Suspensions may be appealed by taking your case to any Management Council Member, but only one appeal may be filed per suspension, and an appeal sent to one MC member will be relayed to all others, so only one MC member should be contacted, if an appeal is desired.

This policy will go into effect as of the posting of this notice.

Sincerely,

Why not remove the Bad Posts button from Spin Zone, and when someone enters Spin Zone they have to click on a " You must be over 18 to enter. People are ugly, you are about to enter a place that may prove that to you. You will not whine or cry if someone calls you a doo doo head. You will not hold POA or POA management liable for people calling you names. You have the option to ignore anything said to you. If you choose to escalate any situation, the consequences will be yours to bear." type disclamer? It's not that I'm pro a**hole behavior, I just don't think you guys should have to deal with Spin Zone generated personal issues. It's nearly impossible to regulate behavior on an internet forum, and this one is pretty congenial already. We all know what Usenet is like, 6 posts into any topic and the flame war is on. It pretty much regulates itself in the end though with no moderator presence whatsoever.

I don't get the difference. I'm probably just being dense tho.

What is the difference between these enhanced regulations and the regulations that apply to the rest of the board?

SkyHog said:

What is the difference between these enhanced regulations and the regulations that apply to the rest of the board?

I think what's being addressed is the abuse of the "Bad Post" button by people who are not agreeing with someones opinion in a post that doesn't violate the RoC. I wonder how many I've got so far for espousing pre-emptive nuclear warfare?

SkyHog said:

How we address them.

The Spin Zone ends up taking most of our time, and more than half of the bad post reports that come in are agenda driven, or people who jump into the water and then complain that its wet. We understand that the Spin Zone deals with topics that people feel very strongly about, and not everyone can handle discussing emotional topics while keeping the discussion impersonal.

Too many people are unable to read a post that is intended to make a general statement and not take it personally. Too many people are unable to keep their posts general. They can talk aviation or even non-heated non-aviation all day no problem, but get them on politics or religion and they lose control.

So now the Spin Zone has its own kind of enforcement - prove that you can't handle it, and you stop getting to go there, but it has no impact on your standing in the rest of the site.

Ahh - I see, thanks for the clarification, Chuck.

Back