Engine Upgrades, What is possible

If it is too cold to form ice in the carb, and the engine is running correctly why use heat?
I was referring to several posts above in a portion of the thread starting at comment #14, all of which referred to applying carb heat in order to smooth out the engine. I am suggesting that they could be introducing a new risk in the right temperature and humidity conditions.

I was referring to several posts above in a portion of the thread starting at comment #14, all of which referred to applying carb heat in order to smooth out the engine. I am suggesting that they could be introducing a new risk in the right temperature and humidity conditions.

Theory might be good but in practical application, I don't know.

I use carb heat for what it was intended for, not mixture control.

I need to get an engine analyzer. I've read a lot that you can run LOP on an 0-470 using carb heat, and get better mileage, but I don't do it. I use the POH method to peak, and back off 75C.

The only other thing about it is, you're induction system is open to unfiltered air. But if I had an analyzer, I would play around with LOP and see what's what.

I've even had people tell me I'm flooding my engine for no reason if you don't run with carb heat on. But I don't want to scorch a cylinder.

I've even had people tell me I'm flooding my engine for no reason if you don't run with carb heat on. But I don't want to scorch a cylinder.

What do your plugs look like?

Greetings fellow fliers and the A&P's that keep us flying. I remember seeing something regarding an upgrade STC for various 4 and 6 cylinder engines (172/182, etc).

Leaving the LOP pizzing match for a minute, yes there are various engine upgrades available. Some just modify the existing engine (e.g. adding 10hp on a 150hp Cherokee), some modify the existing engine through replacement of key parts (e.g. turning a O470 into a O520 in the Pponk conversion for the 182, Savanna conversion of the B55 ), others just hang different engines alltogether (IO520 and IO550 conversions by shops like Texas Skyways and Air Plains). Then there are modifications to the Lycoming equipped 182s where the engine is replaced with one that spins a couple of 100 rpm higher, adding about 30hp and a bit of noise (Alamo aerospace conversions for post-restart 182s and 182RGs).

Whether the cost benefit ratio of the diffferent conversions is justified is an individual decision. A 300hp 182 is a very different aircraft from the stock version :yes: .

What do your plugs look like?

I don't remember. I'll study them closer when we pull them next time.

That beg's the question, is there a good illustrated guide on the net maybe that shows interpretations of plugs on Continental's ... :confused:

I'm the kind of guy who bought Playboy for the pictures, not the articles. :D

Leaving the LOP pizzing match for a minute, yes there are various engine upgrades available. Some just modify the existing engine (e.g. adding 10hp on a 150hp Cherokee), some modify the existing engine through replacement of key parts (e.g. turning a O470 into a O520 in the Pponk conversion for the 182, Savanna conversion of the B55 ), others just hang different engines alltogether (IO520 and IO550 conversions by shops like Texas Skyways and Air Plains). Then there are modifications to the Lycoming equipped 182s where the engine is replaced with one that spins a couple of 100 rpm higher, adding about 30hp and a bit of noise (Alamo aerospace conversions for post-restart 182s and 182RGs).

Whether the cost benefit ratio of the diffferent conversions is justified is an individual decision. A 300hp 182 is a very different aircraft from the stock version :yes: .

As bad as I would love to have a 550 in mine, I don't think I can ever ju$tify it not flying more than I do.

It'll probably be the 0-470-50 if mine goes kaput. It makes way more sen$e. :rolleyes2:

But what makes the best sense is to run mine into the ground like it is with the mogas option, and hope pponk get's a mogas STC on the eagle. In the meantime, I guess I could look into a tuned exhaust might be the biggest bang for the buck... or maybe electronic ignition if they ever get it out.. :dunno:

As bad as I would love to have a 550 in mine, I don't think I can ever ju$tify it not flying more than I do.

It'll probably be the 0-470-50 if mine goes kaput. It makes way more sen$e. :rolleyes2:

But what makes the best sense is to run mine into the ground like it is with the mogas option, and hope pponk get's a mogas STC on the eagle. In the meantime, I guess I could look into a tuned exhaust might be the biggest bang for the buck... or maybe electronic ignition if they ever get it out.. :dunno:

Continental makes a full FADEC engine for you, EFI and all.... But for the dollar, a tuned Tri-Y pipe is your biggest bang for the buck.

Never had much luck getting all four cylinders in a 0-360 to go LOP. I've use the carb heat trick along with pulling the throttle slightly back from WOT, etc but typically only manage to get two or three cylinders lean before the engine starts running ruff.
That's typical. In fact, getting three cylinders LOP is better'n average.

The question at the top of the thread was not 'what is reasonable' but rather 'what is possible'. Hanging an IO550 on a 1979 182 and installing tip-extensions is certainly possible, but so is setting a stack of $100 bills on fire.

The p-ponk otoh looks like a no-brainer for anyone who comes up for an overhaul.

The question at the top of the thread was not 'what is reasonable' but rather 'what is possible'. Hanging an IO550 on a 1979 182 and installing tip-extensions is certainly possible, but so is setting a stack of $100 bills on fire.

The p-ponk otoh looks like a no-brainer for anyone who comes up for an overhaul.

The best mod on a 182 is the Katmai mod, makes it into a completely different airplane.

The best mod on a 182 is the Katmai mod, makes it into a completely different airplane.

It is also by far the most expensive mod. Enough fanatics out there that they seem to hold their value pretty well.

It is also by far the most expensive mod. Enough fanatics out there that they seem to hold their value pretty well.

Worth every dime, makes it an amazing performer and totally eliminates the nose heaviness. Stall characteristics are so benign I'm still not sure it actually stalls.

I have about 20 hrs in it.

The Katmai conversion with the Peterson 260 engine is everything the reports say it is.

153 knots, 12 gph, the stall reduced so low I wouldn't even try it. I was happy to land at 40mph few hundred pounds under gross weight.

It is an expensive mod so you cannot compare it to any other 182. Be prepared but it is one heck of an airplane.

I have about 20 hrs in it.

The Katmai conversion with the Peterson 260 engine is everything the reports say it is.

153 knots, 12 gph, the stall reduced so low I wouldn't even try it. I was happy to land at 40mph few hundred pounds under gross weight.

It is an expensive mod so you cannot compare it to any other 182. Be prepared but it is one heck of an airplane.

What's the price of a new 182? I couldn't get it to do a power on stall.

So many great suggestions! Thanks!!! Also, thank you for the funnies too.

Back