Engine shipping?

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Having an engine shipped from Texas to Pennsylvania. Looking for recommendations on shippers. It will already be crated and ready to go.

www.freightquote.com

If you're not a routine user of the LTL carriers, the retail rate you will get calling a carrier direct is really high. Brokers like FreightQuote.com do lots of volume and pass on the savings to you. Plus they have the means of quickly scanning the rates and services and helping you choose the best fit.

For carriers, R & L freight is offered, is a good choice for those two points.

www.freightquote.com

If you don't mind doing business with the mafia.

I'm not joking (at least 12 years ago that was the case)...but of course...that's just an opinion.

Then again, even FedEx freight did business with the mafia when I was there. If you hauled freight around the NYC area then you had no choice. It was either deal with them or don't haul freight there. (It was quite the eye opening experience for this country boy from Missouri.)

Again, this is but an opinion....I have nothing against any trucking company or the mafia for that matter! :wink2:

I used one of those web sites that gets multiple quotes. Ended up using Old Dominion. Good experience. Took good care of it and was very reasonable. A buddy used some other outfit and they beat his up pretty bad.
Good luck.

I have used R & L carriers twice shipping large office multi function machines and both times they were badly damaged (heavily stacked when there were large stickers " Do Not Stack").

The first time the driver dropped it at my dock, I refused to sign the bill of receipt and he threw his hands up and said you will have to take it up main office I just deliver it. Second time he set the shipper on top of the box sounding like Kevin Lacey (I aint got time for this) and was pulling out of the parking lot while I was inspecting the delivery box only to find damage.

Both times the claims department said I accepted the shipment therefore accepted the damage and refused to pay the claim.

Personally will never use them again since I dont want to go 3 for 3, but it could have been a fluke:dunno:

Sorry to hear about your R&L experience. We haven't had such.

I have used R & L carriers twice shipping large office multi function machines and both times they were badly damaged (heavily stacked when there were large stickers " Do Not Stack").

The first time the driver dropped it at my dock, I refused to sign the bill of receipt and he threw his hands up and said you will have to take it up main office I just deliver it. Second time he set the shipper on top of the box sounding like Kevin Lacey (I aint got time for this) and was pulling out of the parking lot while I was inspecting the delivery box only to find damage.

Both times the claims department said I accepted the shipment therefore accepted the damage and refused to pay the claim.

Personally will never use them again since I dont want to go 3 for 3, but it could have been a fluke:dunno:
Careful...don't pizz off anyone at R&L's main office or you may find yourself wearing concrete boots at the bottom of the Hudson River.

Actually, R&L is in Ohio IIRC so make that the Cuyahoga River...at least it's no longer on fire!

If it's an overhauller at one end, we always use their preferred outfit, and they usually get a better rate than we can get.

If it's a purchase from a private party, I hope they're using a proper crate to ship the thing in -- one that mounts the engine high and protects the sump. "Aircraft engine lying on a forklift pallet" is going to be in for a real bad time in transit.

We've been doing one of these every other week lately -- all sorts of different carriers. No real trouble with any of them. It's always a dude, a truck, a pallet jack, and a form to sign. One outfit wanted an extra $45 for a liftgate, and we mentioned we have a forklift handy -- then they arrived with a liftgate truck anyway, no charge. Strange little nickle-and-dime routine with that carrier, can't recall which it was.

Back