Engine Purchase

John Recine

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Recine
I got my eye on an engine I saw advertised but I am still hesitant about buying it. Even if I go look at it, how do I know I am not buying a boat anchor?

What is the runout on an O235C1 engine anyone have any suggestions on how best to make the decision or the purchase. Naturally the owner assures me without warrenty that it has a few hundred hours of life left in it and it ran good before it was removed for an upgrade but I really need some learned advice in this area. Anyone care to lend some sound advice?

John

Every used engine needs an overhaul and is over priced until you prove different.

Thanks Tom,

what can you tell me about an 0235C1

Buy it as a core, and plan on getting it overhauled. do a complete check for airworthiness, and try to fly it, if it works, fly it until you do not trust it any longer.

which will prove if it was worth the price.

Every engine is pandoria's box, you never know what you have until you open it up and inspect it. I wouldn't do that until I have run it and see how well it does.

Tom is right on the engine purchase you really never know what you have purchased. Engines can be repaired or overhauled and there is a big difference between the two. If the engine was repaired or overhauled by a certificated repair station there should be a work order with it showing all the work performed and all the AD’s that were complied with.

If the engine was overhauled by a powerplant mechanic they should of noted all the work performed in the engine logbook. However this does happen very often as it should.

If it were me I would look at it as unknown or unproven. You may get lucky, but luck has nothing to do with airworthiness. Records tell part of the story, but to really know a overhaul should be accomplished then you have a known starting point to trust from.

Back